SailNet Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aloha,

I live aboard my 78 Cal 34 III and I have the original fuel tank. It is really easy to get to it under the bench seat in the saloon.

The dimensions are really custom and I can't find anything that comes close, what is the best way to replace fuel tank.

A few options I have heard are cut the top off and use a bladder in the current roll steel tank, have a custom tank made, and just use a bladder without the steel tank involved.

I really don't have room for the fuel anywhere else and I want to maximize my living space so this is a good location. I just don't want to get killed with the custom build and the shipping to Oahu.

Please advise,
Mahalo

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Why would you have to have it shipped to Oahu? Don't you have welders there? Wait I just used google to find a welder and here is one that does custom fabrication welding: Allstate Welding - Specializing in Steel Fabrication

A phone call and some rough dimensions would get you an estimate. Sometimes the cabinetry is built around the installed tank. Be sure you can get the old tank out. Maybe take the old tank down to the welder to have him duplicate it.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Reactions: RegisteredUser

·
One of None
Hunter 34
8,667 Posts
I don't know why everybody is in love with aluminum fuel tanks, of all the metals there are I can't think of anything that helps promote sludge form faster in tank.

You say your tank is easy to access, but you don't say what the size the tank is.

I think you're doing yourself a disservice if you don't look up Moeller plastic fuel tanks, lots of configurations.

But it's a given, everybody wants to do things the hard way

·
Registered
926 Posts
Practical Sailor recently did a write up on Fuel Tanks and Aluminum came out on top in their review. They cited an issue with the fittings on the plastic tanks expanding and contracting as being a problem for possible leaks? I think the other issue may be that with plastic you pretty much have to use what is available and with aluminum you have the availability of a custom tank. I think my biggest concern with having a custom aluminum tank from a local vendor if they didn't do these on a regular basis would be the possibility of lack of knowledge concerning tank construction including baffles and CG compliance. Sounds like the place that Roverhi recommended might very well be a good choice and their price was pretty much in line with what you would pay for an RDR tank.
I'm not convinced that the plastic tanks are really that much of a problem in tanks less than about 40 gallons. If you can find one that will fit in the space that you have with enough capacity that's another option but I would be curious if the shipping cost wouldn't counter any cost savings over the aluminum.
Now we can turn this thread into a heated discussion on Plastic vs. Aluminum fuel tanks. What do those PS people know anyway ????

·
One of None
Hunter 34
8,667 Posts
Not the plastic tanks I've seen, they have metal connectors.

Doesn't matter, OP asks for help didn't even give dimensions,

1 - 6 of 6 Posts