SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am new to this forum. I was wondering if anyone out there has the plans for the rudder for my boat? I found a picture of another sloop and it seems that somewhere along the line someone cut the rudder down and made the width shorter. This is causing me to have a hard time holding a heading when sailing close to the wind and in strong winds (20K+).

Thanks in advance.
Jeff

·
19,484 Posts
From another thread on these boats:

Originally posted by Jeff_H.
These boats had a variety of rudder designs. The original design was a race boat that had a fin keel with an attached rudder. The design was altered to a shallower draft, and the rudder was shortened at the same time. I looked at one out of the water that had a shoal draft fin keel that was different than the original design and which has a skeg hung rudder. The owner went with this design because of balance and handling problems that he experienced on a friend's Starratt with the attached rudder. I also saw one that had a post hung rudder that was apparently salvaged off of different boat.

I may still have original factory literature on these boats from the 1970's. I'll need to check my files.
This is from a thread way back in 2008. Jeff may ring in again.

Here's another older discussion:

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/morgan/35286-starrett-jenks-morgan45-info-opinions.html

Reactions: williamsmoot

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello everyone. I grew up sailing on my Grandfather's SJ45. Those trips to the Channel Islands in California are the highlights of my childhood. I am in a position to buy a boat and we are looking at a SJ45 in Florida. (we live in Chicago). The boat is a 1977 Hull #250 Sloop. We are flying to Florida next month to take a look at it. It appears the Owner has been trying to sell for years. The boat is clean, and has a very nice finish in the cabin. (my grandfathers cabin was pretty rough... he put all of his money into the rigging).

When I go through the boat, what should I looking for? Cosmetically, it is beautiful! But, before I pay for a full survey, I was hoping to gauge weather the juice was worth the squeeze.

Thank you in advance!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.