SailNet Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, so I'm new to sailing but not being on the water(power boats). So I'm looking at a 1982 30' oday, needs work has a universal atomic...i wanna know if this boat will be ok for wherever I wanna go, mainly from FL to Bahamas, and maybe even jumping over to Europe from there

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Hello,

In decent weather that boat would be fine for going to the bahamas. No, it would no be suitable for heading to Europe from there. After a few weeks in the Bahamas you would understand why. It would be too small, not enough space for water, food, gear, etc. The O'day 30 is a coastal cruiser and not designed to cross oceans.

Good luck,
Barry

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
BarryL, thank you, that's kinda what I was thinking too, I'm very good at roughing it but with essentials being an issue, yea don't wanna die hahahah, I'll keep looking

·
Registered
30 Posts
I fully agree with BarryL. I owned a 1979 O'Day 30, one of the first.

·
Doesn't sail enough
623 Posts
...i wanna know if this boat will be ok for wherever I wanna go, mainly from FL to Bahamas, and maybe even jumping over to Europe from there
You got the answer to the question you asked, but I want to jump in and answer the question you didn't ask:

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good. There are a lot more (and a lot cheaper) boats like the O30 that can happily coastal-cruise the Bahamas and the rest of the Caribbean - where you can plan passages based on weather windows, and expect to be able to find water and at least some provisioning when you get there.

Crossing the pond would demand a lot more of you and the boat. I think most people would want to be at 35'+ at least, and a much more restricted list of appropriate models.

Why worry about that if you're not there yet? Get the boat that fits your needs NOW, and go sailing NOW. If you get to the point you want the boat that will take you further, sell your boat for what you paid for it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
zedboy,
I somewhat agree, but "twofootitis" strains ones finances.
lho

·
Doesn't sail enough
623 Posts
Chris get the water pumped out of the bilge, dry it out and then send up close pics. Let's see those bolts.

Also see if you can see the chainplates. Major plus if they're exposed and bolted to the bulkheads. Best possible decoration for a boat.

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
Note that just a cleanup doesn't make it a project boat. It's major projects like fixing a wet deck, rebuilding or replacing the engine, etc. Note that a new set of sails is going to run about $4000.

·
al brazzi
2,076 Posts
NO sails huh, someone removed them if you're not buying from that guy its not good at all. Used ones are available, I wouldn't but that's just me. My boat had Sails but I replaced them anyway, go figure. Be extra careful, there are too many 30' Boats out there just not worth fixing up. I would go with one ready to sail and being used regularly. They are all constant maintenance adding too much that needs to be fixed can put you in a bad spot easily.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yea planning on doing that tomorrow, had to get permission from the marina it's at or at least make sure they knew I was gonna

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not 100 percent about the sails...the mast is on the ground next to it in good shape, looks like all new rigging, will have to replace the ropes, but for 1000 dollars I've seen worse...

·
Registered
180 Posts
OP, your labor and time has value. By the time you get it ship shape, I would not be surprised if you had another 15-20k invested. For that money, or a little more you can find a ton of boats that all you would have to add is ice in the cooler....

·
Registered
484 Posts
Is this the Oday 30 that is on the hard at the marina in Merritt Island? - I saw it about 6 months ago - if it is - I would walk away - the bottom of the mast wasting away - it will need to be shortened a few inches - which means all the rigging will be off - water has been sitting in for a long time - when you add up all the expenses and time to get it sailable - you are better off looking for something more ready to go - the marina its at is not cheap - if you do all the work yourself - have the time it might be OK - but just too many other boats out there in better shape for not much money.

·
Doesn't sail enough
623 Posts
OP, your labor and time has value. By the time you get it ship shape, I would not be surprised if you had another 15-20k invested. For that money, or a little more you can find a ton of boats that all you would have to add is ice in the cooler....
If we're talking major structural issues, I agree.

But don't fool yourself about the amount of work involved in turnkey boats. I bought "the big boat" (for me) a year ago this August, and it was ready to roll - which was good because it was an 800nm delivery to home. No serious problems. Engine good, rigging good, sails good.

But a year later I've got a long to-do list: restitching dodger, torn hose for manual bilge pump, sand/varnish everything, prop scraping + new zincs, busted nav light lens, etc. And I purposely don't have hot water, fridge, or instruments other than depth, so none of that stuff can break!

If for $1k the boat is structurally sound and ready to sail, there's something to be said for taking everything else as more-or-less what you would have with any boat of similar complexity.

The trick is figuring out which boats just need a good scrub and which ones are big trouble....

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Nothing wrong with that boat, as production boats go.
One interior design feature to check on carefully is the head compartment. Go in, sit down, shut the door... now try to imagine using it and accessing the TP.
IIRC it was sized for a thin person under 5'5".
:)

(We almost bought one of those boats once and the head design killed the deal.)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I know it's been awhile, I've gotten the water out of the boat, I believe it's a fixed keel there are no bolts, was feeling confident with it till i made it back towards the batteries were they sit is all rotting out I think, not sure what's underneath I've attached a few pics

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts