SailNet Community banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Over Hill Sailing Club
3,688 Posts
I have this kind of coverage thanks to the totally out of control religion of environmental idiocy. Sorry:)

Reactions: joethecobbler

·
Master Mariner
9,151 Posts
And BP is paying billions in fines and compensation to people. If they couldn't get out of it why do you think you will be able to.
I'm not trying to get out of anything; just presenting a factual account of the reality of a 60,000 gallon diesel spill. Cardi, a powerful RI construction company has avoided all fines and restitution for damages, in a case where they actually broke the law (no proper utilities search before digging on public property) to cause the spill. Not only that, but did you even hear about this spill? They hushed it up completely. No public outrage; no punishment????
And, if I'm not mistaken, there is something about one case being the president for future cases, in law.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
I'm not a lawyer, but somehow I can't see that argument getting you very far in court.
Yeah, companies get away with stuff like that by making other insurance type payments, commonly referred to as campaign contributions.

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,645 Posts
jj-
You might ask the local USCG just how expensive a cleanup can be, and then ask the insurer what the difference is, for $850k of coverage versus just 100k or 250k or coverage. Sometimes it is so little that it doesn't pay to worry. But the costs of environmental cleanup and wreck removal (in case you sink someplace where you shouldn't) can be surprisingly large, especially if some authority steps in and takes control and simply jobs it out to the fastest responder.

Sounds like one of your insurers likes to play the "terror card" though, and that's generally a good reason to look elsewhere.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
And BP is paying billions in fines and compensation to people. If they couldn't get out of it why do you think you will be able to.
I'm not sure I would use BP as the example. They probably aren't paying for a tenth of the damage they have caused and will cause in the future, at least not where I live.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts