SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry to throw another "versus" post on here, but couldn;t resist. Looking for a boat for 40% Coastal & Carribbean Cruising, 30% Club PHRF and 30% Solo Day Sailing. Tankage looks light on the Dehler? Any other input about performance of this itinerary? All 3 tiller contolled, my preference.

Thanks,
Lawson

·
19,485 Posts
Haven't sailed any of them but they are of the same era as our boat 'design' thinking and similar size.

From looking at pics and my own subjective opinion the Pretorian looks the 'bigger' of the three, esp from interior shots. None seem to have a good, second 'double' berth, at least from what I can see but that may not be important to you.

Didn't particularly like the low passageway forward to the V berth on the Dehler, and access looks a bit tight around the table. The Pretorien's offset u-shaped dinette seems much roomier, but likely offers less storage space outboard than the Dehler. Not a big fan of the Pretorien's slat cockpit seating, though it's not ever going to 'puddle' on you.

And sorry, to my eye, the Dufour just ain't pretty enough to make the grade in that trio.

Assuming you're looking at the Pretorien in Palmetto, that's almost at a 50% price point against other examples.. expect a reason (or several) for that. Typically these boats hold their value well.

·
Registered
337 Posts
The Dehler - take it that is a v d Stadt design - is fast. If you look on the data, it is comparably light, a flat bottom and rather much sail. It sails well, somewhat lively. Inside works fine, thought out well, but some places will be tight.

Dufour - a more than 10 year older boat was designed in another way; probably the same is for the Wauquiesz. More heavy, higher stability which gives another way of moving. At least the Dufour is slow, they have never been fast boats.

All are nice, from different perspectives. Depends on what you want.
If winning at the club races is high on your list then the answer is given.
The Wauquiez seems roomier, if that is important.

At least the Dehler was produced in many variants, from racing to easy sailing. As the Dehler was produced very light, careful inspection is a must.

The combo you mention, Coastal, solo and club racing ... then you do not want a heavy boat.

/J

1 - 3 of 3 Posts