SailNet Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All

I've been away from sailing and related forums for more years than I care to admit/remember.

My '99 26x is in process of coming out of semi-retirement. Spent last weekend cleaning her up and getting her ready to sail. I made a quick inspection of her belly and was surprised to discover the centerboard appears to be literally disintegrating! The board is splitting apart (appears like the laminates are coming apart) and there are severe cracks as well.

Several years ago, I lowered the centerboard for inspection and to re-seal the support pivot bolt. Everything was fine back then - no cracks, no disintegration. The boat has not been used much since - was trailered majority of the time. It did not get jolted. The board was never dropped. It simply appears to have cracked apart while on the trailer.

Any ideas what may have caused this kind of deterioration?

Any recommendations for replacements?

I can post pictures if that helps.

Any/all advice and suggestions appreciated.

r/

Attila (from Annapolis)

·
Telstar 28
43,289 Posts
I'd second freeze/thaw is probably the cause.

·
Banned
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Both - thx for your responses. (BTW - I'm not new to forums, just been away from them for a while)

RE: freeze/thaw - possibly but...

The boat's been dry docked (on trailer) for several years. Any water that may or may not have been in board would have long evaporated. Rain water could not possibly have gotten into it while on trailer. The boat's never been bumped, beached nor collided with submerged obstructions - neither has the centerboard.

Any suggestions where I might be able to find quality (as opposed to 'original' manufacturer) replacement parts. Original board appears to be fiberglassed foam-core. I would be interested in better materials.

Thx

Attila

1 - 5 of 5 Posts