SailNet Community banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last months IDB boats have got a lot of attention from the European Nautical press.

I have heard a lot of complains on this forum about not having new interesting small sailboats with offshore potential. Well the Mojito/Malango 888 is one and I like it a lot. If I was younger that would be certainly the boat I would be interested in and even now I wonder if I really need such a big cruising boat and maybe in the future I would opt for something similar...well, just a bit bigger:D
Interesting Sailboats: MALANGO 888 NEW TEST AND NEW VIDEOS WITH THE MOJITO 888.

·
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA
4,525 Posts
Very interesting boats to be sure. Shows what you get when you don't start from traditional North American parameters.

·
Old enough to know better
4,345 Posts
It looks like fun, but that cabin does not look like one I would want to spend a lot of time in offshore. Though it does look easy to keep clean. Looks to be quite fast though. The dingy garage seems a bit like a gimmick to me, I would rather have more storage space, especially if taking off shore. Looks like a lot of fun for weekends.

·
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA
4,525 Posts
I think the dinghy storage makes a great deal of sense because on a boat that size it would be hard to find a good place for it. My concern is that there could only be a small dink - but it is still a 30 footer.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
It looks like fun, but that cabin does not look like one I would want to spend a lot of time in offshore. Though it does look easy to keep clean. Looks to be quite fast though. The dingy garage seems a bit like a gimmick to me, I would rather have more storage space, especially if taking off shore. Looks like a lot of fun for weekends.
How many threads on here deal with trying to find somewhere to stash a dinghy while offshore. even on boats over 40' dinghy storage is often a major problem, to see a boat that has solved the issue so cleanly on a 30' is pretty amazing.

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
How many threads on here deal with trying to find somewhere to stash a dinghy while offshore. even on boats over 40' dinghy storage is often a major problem, to see a boat that has solved the issue so cleanly on a 30' is pretty amazing.
That dinghy looks like little more than a toy, to my eye... I'll stick with my 9' hard bottom Avon with 15" tubes stowed on my foredeck, thanks... :)

Very cool boat, no doubt... But for almost $120K, I could probably find hundreds of other boats I'd rather have, but perhaps that's just me...

And all of them would carry more than 9 gallons of fuel, and 26 of water, that's for sure :)

But for a certain type of cruising, that boat could be a lot of fun, I'm sure it's a blast to sail... Just not my style, is all... And, I would definitely not fit into that dinghy...

:)

·
Registered
830 Posts
"Garage," indeed!
Betcha that. inna month there'll be a couple of bikes, lawnmower, boxes from the move and a pile of old dried- up paint cans stowed there. ;). Look it that debris field of flotsam/jetsam when summ'un opens the hatch!! LOL
*IF* I cut out my transom and did a little 'glass work; I could prolly do the same with the WB8. Not that I would, tho..:D

·
Don't call me a "senior"!
968 Posts
I kinda like the idea of a "dinghy garage". But, in a following sea how much water (and how much weight) is going to be trapped in the garage and the dink? Even if the water does eventually drain out it seems like there could potentially be a lot of added weight in there for a while. Add to that the weight of water tapped in the cockpit until it drains. However, I suppose an inflatable dink would ultimately provide some buoyancy if the boat was weighed down enough to submerge the "garage".

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
I did some more digging on the boat, and it looks like it was designed with Trans-atlantic amature racing in mind. From the drawing board of a pretty successful open 40 designer. Sadly the reviews were primarily in French which I don't read, but if I was in the market for a fast cruiser in this size range it would certainly be something worth looking at.

I am also no sure if it is intended to be beachable. From what I saw it looks like it has deployable legs that would allow it to dry out on from a falling tide, but couldn't be driven up on a sand beach. But my sense of this is pretty spotty.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Looks like a nice fun fast boat, and the garage is a real plus.

·
Senior Moment Member
13,300 Posts
The 888 has a cool paint job but overall it looks too much like a Mac 26 for my taste.

·
Old enough to know better
4,345 Posts
I did some more digging on the boat, and it looks like it was designed with Trans-atlantic amature racing in mind. From the drawing board of a pretty successful open 40 designer. Sadly the reviews were primarily in French which I don't read, but if I was in the market for a fast cruiser in this size range it would certainly be something worth looking at.

I am also no sure if it is intended to be beachable. From what I saw it looks like it has deployable legs that would allow it to dry out on from a falling tide, but couldn't be driven up on a sand beach. But my sense of this is pretty spotty.
Trans-Atlantic racing with only 26 gallons of water capacity? Hope it is a quick trip! What do you need a dingy for a trans Atlantic race? Looks like it would be a fun day sailer. And for that a dingy garage might be useful. Would not want to take a big following wave into that garage.

·
Registered
16,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)

Not bad;)

In fact even if sharing the same concept the designer of the Malango 999 and the Malango 888/Mojito 888 is not the same even if both are involved on the solo racing scene.

The 999 is designed by Julien Marin a prolix NA with many interesting designs and some interesting boats produced between them a 40 class racer that had some success (2006).

http://julienmarin-archinaval.com/fr/travaux_architecte_naval.php#lien_marin40_bis

The 888 is designed by the more famous NA Pierre Rolland, an ex mini racer.

His first design was a mini for himself. With it he made the 1987 and 1989 mini Transat. With is second design, also a mini racer Thierry Dubois won the 1993 mini Transat. He is the one that design the first Pogo mini racer that won many races. Designs also the first Pogo cruiser, the 850 (160 boats built). He designs (in collaboration with two other NA) the Open 60 that will allow Bernard Stamm to won two times the circumnavigation race "Velux 3 Oceans". He designs also several interesting fast light cruisers like the Django series, the Bongo, the Fabulo 36, the Yaka, the Banjo and some fast voyage boats in aluminium.
He is a top solo sailor, having made several years of Figaro series and finishing a mini transat in 4th. He uses his vast experience to design fast boats easy to sail solo.
rolland Archi : Les plans de Pierre Rolland

A Bongo twin keel cruiser making the Transat:

The soul of the Malango/Mojito his the director of the shipyard and he is the guy that defines how he wants the boats: Denis Bourbigot

The boats are designed with fast cruising in mind but specially the 888 also with a famous amateur transat race in mind, the Transquadra.

The Transaquadra is a famous French solo/two race for amateurs more than 40 year's old. The race is divided in two legs, one in July other in January and in fact we are at the middle of one. The first leg had already taken place and on January we will have the second. There is a Malango 888 racing.

Transquadra 2014-2015 | Transat solitaire et double r?serv?e aux amateurs.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.