SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A 21 year old fellow from Arizona buys a $700 boat on Ebay. What could possibly go wrong? Tough way to start on the dream.

"A 21-year-old man behind the wheel of a sailboat named “Vanna White” ran the boat aground in Montauk on Thursday — just one day after he bought it on eBay for $700.

Now the sailor, Matthew Hunt, who hails from land-locked Arizona, is homeless — because he planned to live on the vessel."

https://nypost.com/2019/09/26/arizona-man-runs-new-boat-aground-in-montauk/

·
Registered
23,501 Posts
3.....2.....1....... gofundme page coming up.

Sorry for his loss, but living on your last dime on a $700 boat isn’t the best idea. Hard to assess the sailing situation, from the media report.

·
Registered
S2 7.9 Bear Lake, UT
2,869 Posts
The article says 26-foot Catalina. Maybe it's a Catalina 27?.
There is a Capri 26 made by Catalina. Unlike other Capris which is Catalina's "racing" line, it is more cruiser oriented.

·
Freedom isn't free
3,057 Posts
Its an early 80s Catalina 27, they are a dime a dozen. Early 70s were atomics (for inboards) newer ones were universals.

it was a bad plan to start with. Some experience would have been helpful, not a great place to start your "dream" if you are unfamiliar with the area/sailboats.

The Capri 26 is completely different.
The Catalina 25 has smaller oval forward ports (rare to find an inboard in them as well).

From the pictures that was a nicely sorted 27. Those are REALLY tough boats for production boats.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah that looked like a sweet little boat for $700 at least from the photos. Unfortunately his plans were doomed once he thought anchoring in the Atlantic Ocean might be a good idea so he could use the showers at Hither Hills State Park.

"His plan was to find a place to anchor the boat and start looking for a job in the area. Someone, he said, mentioned to him that Hither Hills State Park has showers and bathrooms he could use.

With no knowledge of the area or the temperament of the Atlantic, he set off Thursday morning, intending to moor the boat in the ocean off the parkland and use a raft to traverse back and forth to shore."

The good news is that he got a job in a Sag Harbor restaurant so maybe he can get back on his feet again.

The Vanna White Goes Down, Leaving A Young Sailboat Owner Disappointed, And Homeless - Montauk - 27east

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
A young guy with a tough home life (?) got a sampling of the kindness of strangers. A place to stay and a job. Hopefully, someone will mentor him. He could sign on a fishing boat, learn to cook, and become a town celebrity and chef to the rich and famous in the Hamptons with a story to tell of how it all got started.

It was a dumb, maybe desperate move to think you could anchor in the ocean. Hopefully, whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger and maybe a little wiser. It's too bad they didn't get a pump on that boat sooner, to keep it afloat, and find the ingress point.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
A young guy with a tough home life (?) got a sampling of the kindness of strangers. A place to stay and a job. Hopefully, someone will mentor him. He could sign on a fishing boat, learn to cook, and become a town celebrity and chef to the rich and famous in the Hamptons with a story to tell of how it all got started.

It was a dumb, maybe desperate move to think you could anchor in the ocean. Hopefully, whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger and maybe a little wiser. It's too bad they didn't get a pump on that boat sooner, to keep it afloat, and find the ingress point.
Spot on. Shame about the boat. Though he doesn't sound like some of the young kids today who just start a Go Fund me page to have others pay for their mistakes. He did not waste anytime looking for a job. So I think he is on the right path to a better life. Especially if he stays out of the bars. :)

·
Banned
12,366 Posts
3.....2.....1....... gofundme page coming up.

Sorry for his loss, but living on your last dime on a $700 boat isn’t the best idea. Hard to assess the sailing situation, from the media report.
My thoughts exactly...on the go fund me page

·
Registered
654 Posts
I wish him all the best really. I ran aground the first time solo on a 33 Hunter. More enthusiasm than brains. That was 10 years ago. That lesson advanced my learning of seamanship faster than anything else.

Reading the updated story, I see he tried to sail away form the lee shore after his engine died but couldn't manage it. Neither could any of us with so little experience. But he gave it a go instead of curling up in the corner.

If he gets another boat, my bet is that he become a good sailor. I'm basing that off nothing but intuition. Judging by his story, he's not a whiner and moves towards solutions instead of wallowing in problems and misery. Takes balls to leave a crappy family and start anew. I hope he continues to sail.

·
Registered
S2 7.9 Bear Lake, UT
2,869 Posts
I will wait for a follow up news story to give him a good grade for effort.

His story about a messed up family life: Does that mean his parents disapproved of his neck adornment or the fact that he spent his last dime to fly from Arizona one way to New England as winter approaches to live on a sailboat without knowing how to sail?

·
Banned
12,366 Posts

So true

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
you would think if he was anchored and then could not make it off the lee shore he would just anchor again and wait for better conditions but thats what experience is good for. also knowing how to sail helps.

·
Registered
23,501 Posts
The fact that I’ve not heard of a gofundme campaign yet, speaks in favor of this kids character. I doubt the job he was given in a restaurant was charity. Restaurants nationwide are starving for workers in this high employment economy. Good to hear that getting a job was part of his solution.

I hope he gets back on his feet and smartens up for the next shot. Intending to anchor in the open ocean doesn’t speak well for the common sense of a 21 yr old. Has to be some kind of deficit there. I’ll acknowledge, one may be sympathetic to this kid, if they knew him personally and what his capability really is. Impossible to say from afar.

The salvage costs are an interesting question. Clearly, he would be liable for the tow. The fact that the boat sunk while under tow may be the tow company’s liability. One even wonders if the kid will have a claim against them, if they were negligent in some way. Running a crash pump would be SOP, if she was taking on water. Maybe they missed something. Maybe something didn’t start leaking until after they were underway.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts