SailNet Community banner

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Banned
12,366 Posts
Restaurants nationwide are starving for workers in this high employment economy. This statement is incorrect.

Restaurants willing to pay appropriate wages , or in server positions restaurants with a good business never have difficulty finding good employees.

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
Shame about the boat.

That looked like a really rough tow off the beach. I thought you could see the rudder bounce, then dig in and drag. That can't have been good.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Neck tattoo is kinda like a boat: The entry cost pales in comparison to the long term expenses. In this case, all the jobs he's not gonna get because of his cool neck ink.
At least he does not have a nose ring. They creep me out especially on a woman. :) Tatoo's are hopefully just a fad too. IMO they look like dirt on peoples bodies from a distance. Personally I took a lesson from The Who regarding them .

·
Senior Moment Member
13,290 Posts
Sounds like no knowledge of sailing was the fundamental problem.

Getting blown ashore but the sail cover was still on?

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
Neck tattoo is kinda like a boat: The entry cost pales in comparison to the long term expenses. In this case, all the jobs he's not gonna get because of his cool neck ink.
At least he does not have a nose ring. They creep me out especially on a woman. :) Tatoo's are hopefully just a fad too. IMO they look like dirt on peoples bodies from a distance. Personally I took a lesson from The Who regarding them .
Ahhhh, you’re just old fogies! :)

I don’t have any tattoos, I think they’re kinda dumb, but they are the norm now. Last time I dealt with a banker she had tattoos. I know a surgeon who’s totally tatted up. Last year my county changed the regulations, now deputies are allowed to have visible tattoos. I know a couple suburban soccer moms who have all their kids’ names tattooed.

·
Senior Moment Member
13,290 Posts

I don’t have any tattoos, I think they’re kinda dumb, but they are the norm now.

They are more widely accepted than in the past but they ain't "the norm now".

They're just as trashy as they ever were it's just that society has become trashier.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #28

I don’t have any tattoos, I think they’re kinda dumb, but they are the norm now. Last time I dealt with a banker she had tattoos. I know a surgeon who’s totally tatted up. Last year my county changed the regulations, now deputies are allowed to have visible tattoos. I know a couple suburban soccer moms who have all their kids’ names tattooed.
Old fogie? Maybe but, it still looks like they need to wash the grime off parts of their bodies. I'll make exceptions for a gal who has the "If you can read this. Let's Party!" tattoo on her butt. :)

·
Registered
23,501 Posts
Like so many behaviors, the appearance of an increase in tattoos is exaggerated to think it's the norm. Today, only about a third of kids get tattoos, which keeps them firmly in the minority. That's roughly doubled in their generation, from previous generations, but it's still the exception. Marijuana is the same. There is an increased use, but it's still the distinct minority.

Hair and piercings have been used for self expression, but more easily changed, when your desire to express changes. Removing a tattoo is doable, but it requires breaking up the heavy metals one volunteered to put under their skin, into small enough particles that the body will digest and excrete them. The reason tatoos fade is the smallest of the original injected particules were already digested. The largest can't be. Worse yet, the ingredients in tatoo ink are not regulated, nor disclosed. Some are tested to contain lead, for example.

Reactions: mbianka

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
A friend of mine says tattoos are like marriages. You *can* get them undone, but it's expensive and painful, and sometimes leaves scars.

·
Senior Moment Member
13,290 Posts
Removing a tattoo is doable, but it requires breaking up the heavy metals one volunteered to put under their skin, into small enough particles that the body will digest and excrete them. The reason tatoos fade is the smallest of the original injected particules were already digested. The largest can't be. Worse yet, the ingredients in tatoo ink are not regulated, nor disclosed. Some are tested to contain lead, for example.
Sounds like you're saying that Darwin has significant participation in it. :wink

Reactions: Minnewaska

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Speaking of rough starts anyone else see the 51’ schooner ashore near Jacksonville. What I heard was it was new owners. Can’t find a decent link to the story online.

·
Registered
661 Posts

I'm not opposed to tatoos in principle. I appreciate tastefully done ink and personal expression. However, as I have related to my kids time and again, choices have consequences and ink is forever.

My oldest son got a forearm tattoo that he really liked, shortly after that he lost a job opportunity because of the employer's dress and appearace policy.

My younger son learned from that and opted for ink where it would usually be covered by a t-shirt.

My nephew was *****ing about how broke he was and how much over the counter pediatric meds cost and everything you need in an infant's 'go bag' for travel. I asked him how much he paid for the 10' lightsaber tattoo he just got on his forearm (he needed it to match the one on his other forearm). Blank stare.... Can you imagine taking professional advice from a guy with lightsabers tattood on his forearms? So many doors are closed to him.

Finally in the immortal words of David Letterman "If your going to get a tattoo, just make sure it won't make your hemmorroid surgeon giggle."

·
Registered
686 Posts
Should be a sailing seamanship test required for anyone getting a tattoo.

First question.... You have a sailboat, what is your primary means of propulsion ? ere's a hint mate... your engine is referred to as an auxiliary.

Second question.... What is your anchor used for ???

If the response is "What's an Anchor ?"

NO Tattoo For You

·
Senior Moment Member
13,290 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,681 Posts
OK, I've decided to get a full face tattoo of an anchor.

Do I go with a Danforth, a Manson, a spade, CQR, what do I choose?
The fact that you even have to ask is proof that your face is going to drag.

No anchoring in 60 ft deep F7 coral heads for you.

The answer is Bruce by the way.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
21 - 40 of 56 Posts