SailNet Community banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
Then I'll have chain tattooed down my neck to my chest, where I'll switch to 3-strand nylon. Or should I my tattoo be all chain? The tattoo artist said he couldn't draw a snubber.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Intending to anchor in the open ocean doesn’t speak well for the common sense of a 21 yr old. Has to be some kind of deficit there.
Give the kid a break. He's from Arizona. Where is he going to get ocean sailing experience in Arizona. He most likely had never even seen the ocean before. Yes what he did was dumb, but that doesn't mean he's dumb. Just lack of experience. He'll be back.

As for all the comments about tattoos; sounds like you haven't spent much time around military people lately. Tattoos are definitely in. All the services now allow visible tattoos. When I was serving you could get a tattoo but it better not be visible while in uniform and if it got infected and you needed medical treatment you were in deep s.... Not any more. I was never a tattoo type, but I knew a lot of people who were. Go to a military gym and you will see a sea of tattoos on both men and women. I don't care much for it but it's their bodies. Think what that will look like when they are in their 80's, ugh.

·
Super Moderator
4,681 Posts
Thats for sure. I have a couple of tatoos I got when I was in the CG.... including an anchor tatoo. Fouled anchor actually, imposed on a ships wheel. Admiralty pattern with a rope rode.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Thats for sure. I have a couple of tatoos I got when I was in the CG.... including an anchor tatoo. Fouled anchor actually, imposed on a ships wheel. Admiralty pattern with a rope rode.
Yeah I think I've seen some of those back when. When I graduated from CG boot camp a lot of the guys in my company went and got a tattoo. I can assure you that was not the first thing I went out to get.

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
Yeah I think I've seen some of those back when. When I graduated from CG boot camp a lot of the guys in my company went and got a tattoo. I can assure you that was not the first thing I went out to get.
Was it an ice cream cone?

·
Master Mariner
8,957 Posts
I have to wonder if this sad situation could have been simply averted by filling the fuel tank and/or changing the fuel filters? Sounds as though he had the funds for neither.

·
Registered
23,437 Posts
Give the kid a break. He's from Arizona. Where is he going to get ocean sailing experience in Arizona. He most likely had never even seen the ocean before. Yes what he did was dumb, but that doesn't mean he's dumb. Just lack of experience. He'll be back.
My posts quite literally gave him a break and credit for how he's handling it, but there is clearly a lack of common sense there. 21 years old is not a kid. I'm from New England and have never been to the Himalayas. I wouldn't buy a used tent and try to camp at 20,000ft in my shorts.

We all took more impulsive risks at that age, but his plan was to stay anchored in the ocean and commute to shore. There's reason to suspect a deficit in judgement here. As I already said, that doesn't eliminate all sympathy for him.

As for all the comments about tattoos; sounds like you haven't spent much time around military people lately.
All service branches have eased their tattoo rules. However, that big neck thing wouldn't cut it. This fad will change and despite the prevalence in the military, which is less than 10% of the population, including veterans, it is still the distinct minority of US citizens that have a tatoo. It's still the minority of the youngest generations that have tatoos, even though it has risen.

A tattoo certainly doesn't make one a bad person. I have a brother in law with a couple. He owns his own successful company and has raised a terrific family. I have a niece, from another part of the family, with visible tattoos on her hands and fingers. She's been in and out of jail. There are no absolutes to be drawn, but one's judgement is likely correlated to the general disposition to put a bold tat on their neck.

·
Banned
12,366 Posts
My posts quite literally gave him a break and credit for how he's handling it, but there is clearly a lack of common sense there. 21 years old is not a kid. I'm from New England and have never been to the Himalayas. I wouldn't buy a used tent and try to camp at 20,000ft in my shorts.

We all took more impulsive risks at that age, but his plan was to stay anchored in the ocean and commute to shore. There's reason to suspect a deficit in judgement here. As I already said, that doesn't eliminate all sympathy for him.

All service branches have eased their tattoo rules. However, that big neck thing wouldn't cut it. This fad will change and despite the prevalence in the military, which is less than 10% of the population, including veterans, it is still the distinct minority of US citizens that have a tatoo. It's still the minority of the youngest generations that have tatoos, even though it has risen.

A tattoo certainly doesn't make one a bad person. I have a brother in law with a couple. He owns his own successful company and has raised a terrific family. I have a niece, from another part of the family, with visible tattoos on her hands and fingers. She's been in and out of jail. There are no absolutes to be drawn, but one's judgement is likely correlated to the general disposition to put a bold tat on their neck.
I don’t agree that tats are such the minority you think they are. Your moment reflects the circles you travel in or the age group we both are in.
Most tattoos are not visible. Making a judgement or extrapolating a persons personality based on a tattoo perpetuates a stereotype .

He made his error in public . I don’t think what he did is ant worse than a speeding young first time driver who crashes his car.

I for one think that this young man has shown progress in maturing and making better decisions. Growing is learning from your mistakes.

Tattoo Statistics - How Many People Have Tattoos?

Reactions: Minnesail

·
Registered
23,437 Posts

·
Banned
12,366 Posts
41 - 56 of 56 Posts