SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 134 Posts

·
moderate?
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From the front page of Sailing Anarchy this AM:

The Ignorant Dead: These sites once were something special. They started with good ideas, produced interesting content and grew, and then squandered everything by resisting change, being cheap as hell, run by dummies, or cashing out. Examples: Sailnet, Scuttlebutt

·
Wandering Aimlessly
22,037 Posts
Much like the late, and unlamentted Surfy's Fight Club, it seems it's my way or nothing with them. Rather a strange position for a site using Anarchy in it's title.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Much like the late, and unlamentted Surfy's Fight Club, it seems it's my way or nothing with them. Rather a strange position for a site using Anarchy in it's title.
Don't let "Anarchists" fool you, they aren't. They want anarchy to reign so they can come in later and "clean up the mess".

In reality, they want to control everything and everyone.

They just want to get there a different way that certain other people want to get there.....

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
*shrug* I registered over there a month or so ago to keep an eye on the progress of their, or one of their members', investigation into Novis/Tartan. (It never appeared, btw.) I never really found much on the site, beyond the front page, all that interesting, and there's something about its forum software coding that seizes-up my archaic old browser at home, so...

If you're into racing, SA is probably The Place To Be. But for just general, all-around sailing, of which racing may be just a part, Sailnet is definitely far, far more useful, IMO.

I'm surprised whomever is in charge over there did or allowed that. Most responsible web forum operators tend to try to avoid cross-forum wars. Doesn't say much for them.

Jim

·
Registered
504 Posts
Scot Tempesta, the "Ed" of SA, certainly is obnoxious; it's OK to be proud and even boastful of your accomplishments, but that post was unbelievably self-serving and egotistical. SA is a remarkable site though.

For SailNet, I think they would do well to look into what truth lies in the attack though. There is very little new content here and the ads are more obnoxious than Scot Tempesta. I think this site desperately needs a focusing of its vision.

That said, this IS an awesome site. I just think it has not reached its potential.

·
Thanks Courtney.
3,954 Posts
From the front page of Sailing Anarchy this AM:

The Ignorant Dead: These sites once were something special. They started with good ideas, produced interesting content and grew, and then squandered everything by resisting change, being cheap as hell, run by dummies, or cashing out. Examples: Sailnet, Scuttlebutt
I think there is some truth to this. When was the last time Sailnet or its owners contributed anything to this site? There was a time they actually posted articles, interviews, etc...

·
Wandering Aimlessly
22,037 Posts
While there is always room for improvement. the real question is whether people enjoy the site. For myself, I go to a number of different sites, because they all offer something a bit different than the others. Personally, I like having choices.

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
It is my understanding that Advertising dollars on the web are charged back to the advertiser based on the number of hits the site gets. We all know that times are rough and AD dollars are drying up. Therefore Why not try to put something out, that my web site is better than your web site. So don't bother with the other guys web site as it is in my own best self interest.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
While Sailnet's staff may not be contributing much to the forums, here, I would argue that they're still well and alive...

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
Who gives a rats a$$ what they say

Truth ??

They have approx 21,000 registered members, 1200 active

SN has over a 150,00 registered members and 42,000 active

There's the truth..........which leads to the question, and why is that ??

My Answer, Sailnet is a far better site

so they can blow me

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
SA is all about foul mouth, foul treatment, big ego's. I go there to learn new ways to be an idiot.
I come here for a conversation.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Well said.... :)
SA is all about foul mouth, foul treatment, big ego's. I go there to learn new ways to be an idiot.
I come here for a conversation.

·
Detachable member
377 Posts
I just got off the phone with Scot Tempesta. He wants to apologize. He meant to say "...moderated by dummies" not "...run by dummies".:laugher :laugher :laugher

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
I guess CD really brings the average IQ of the mods down, doesn't he... :)

I just got off the phone with Scot Tempesta. He wants to apologize. He meant to say "...moderated by dummies" not "...run by dummies".:laugher :laugher :laugher

·
Registered
8 Posts
Who gives a rats a$$ what they say

Truth ??

They have approx 21,000 registered members, 1200 active

SN has over a 150,00 registered members and 42,000 active

There's the truth..........which leads to the question, and why is that ??

My Answer, Sailnet is a far better site

so they can blow me
If you actually believe those numbers, you're deluded. Compare the number of posts on SA in five years with the number on Sailnet...you'll realize what I'm talking about. And there's always this:

Attachments

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
More traffic and more posts doesn't mean it has better content... just more traffic and more posts... :) but the bulk of the posts on SA are foul-mouthed trash talk... which doesn't mean a whole lot IMHO.

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
If you actually believe those numbers, you're deluded. :
Well, seeing that those numbers came off the stats from both websites

Compare the number of posts on SA in five years with the number on Sailnet...you'll realize what I'm talking about. And there's always this
LMAO, that's like saying " I drank a Kegg of near beer to your pint of Rum "......

dude, I'll take the Rum

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
Er, what is that scale on the left, and why does the Y-axis decrease in the upward direction?

Ok, that's funny

But, the stats show they have a higher number of posts, which means absolutely nada

1 - 20 of 134 Posts