SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I write stuff as an established yachting journalist in the UK and I've been pondering the merits of writing a blog post about flag etiquette.
This is written with a very British Sense of humour and use of language.
But it's Friday, so why not have a giggle at the silliness of nautical flag snobbery in the UK...

I'm new here so links and pictures aren't allowed apparently...Otherwise I would have simply copied the post to the forum to save linking out.

my blog is just my boat name boogie-nights.Org

There is no commercial interest, it's just a bit of fun.

feedback is always welcome. :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
to access my blog post on flags, you need to put a www in front of the boogie-nights

without those 3 w's it doesn't seem to link up.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ooh thanks for the info. I'm not a web guru.i just linked my blogspot to the domain a bought because it looks much better and I'm planning to do more charitable stuff with my boat, hence the.org thing. :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the latest blog post is up. this time it's an open letter to Mattel, regarding an issue I have with my figure head.

It is designed as sarcastic humour, which includes British references to cockney rhyming slang words describing feet. It does not contain any profanity so is family safe.

Boogie Nights: An open letter to Mattel: Paws for thought.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Took a while but finally found it. Worth the effort. Had a good laugh.
Welcome to this net Boogie Nights.
PS I don't fly any flag - I will when we get our current Prime Minister/dictator replaced with someone human.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks chaps for the positive feedback.
I had a serious ticking off from a forum moderator for breaking the rules: i.e., linking my blog.
I was told it was shameless self promotion.
But in this cynical world, all I (naively) wanted to do was raise a few smiles and perhaps find a few kindred spirits who might nod sagely at my dry humour.
so, thanks, it was worth it.
I best get back to my day job. :)

·
Administrator
5,924 Posts
I had a serious ticking off from a forum moderator for breaking the rules: i.e., linking my blog.
I was told it was shameless self promotion....
To be accurate, this is what I said after the third post:

Please stop putting up links to your Barbie blog post. Once is enough. More than that is against forum rules.

You started a thread and you duplicated that post in another thread. The second one I deleted. The third is bordering on spam, especially since the majority of your posts are self-promotion rather than an active partipation in the forum.

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
I was told it was shameless self promotion.
But in this cynical world, all I (naively) wanted to do was raise a few smiles and perhaps find a few kindred spirits who might nod sagely at my dry humour.
so, thanks, it was worth it.
I best get back to my day job. :)
Well written..springing from a Welsh background.. some on here would not get it..:laugher

Clay Owen
s/v Tango
Chesapeake Bay,Md.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I did not enjoy the vulgar, anti-Christmas paragraph.:eek::eek::eek:
I don't believe I mentioned 25th december anywhere in the flag blog post or the one about Barbies oversize feet.

have you read something else?

for the record, I don't celebrate the 25th of december but I don't stand in the way of others who do.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
To be accurate, this is what I said after the third post:

Please stop putting up links to your Barbie blog post. Once is enough. More than that is against forum rules.

You started a thread and you duplicated that post in another thread. The second one I deleted. The third is bordering on spam, especially since the majority of your posts are self-promotion rather than an active partipation in the forum.
yes, that's what I said, a serious ticking off from a moderator.
and as if to reinforce that, I have been double ticked off, now publicly.

thanks very much for that. I do love being put in my place on a public forum.

Seriously, you must be working for Mattel.
Have you any idea why Barbies feet are too big for her shoes?

·
Administrator
5,924 Posts
You were the one who brought up being contacted by a moderator. If I wanted to "put you in your place" publicly I would have posted what I wrote in private into the forum to begin with. If you're going to portray inaccurately what I wrote to you in a PM, sure, I'll try to set the record straight. The majority of your posts **are** about your blog, I didn't call you "shameless" and you did post the exact same message twice in two different forums and a scaled-down version in a third post. I left the third one, however. You aren't above the rules that we enforce for others.

For what it's worth, I can't stand Barbie. Used to throw mine out of the car and onto the railroad tracks on the way home from the toy store.

Reactions: Andrew65 and tdw
1 - 20 of 68 Posts