SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

a bit of friday humour

7K views 67 replies 21 participants last post by  Capt Len 
#1 ·
I write stuff as an established yachting journalist in the UK and I've been pondering the merits of writing a blog post about flag etiquette.
This is written with a very British Sense of humour and use of language.
But it's Friday, so why not have a giggle at the silliness of nautical flag snobbery in the UK...

I'm new here so links and pictures aren't allowed apparently...Otherwise I would have simply copied the post to the forum to save linking out.

my blog is just my boat name boogie-nights.Org

There is no commercial interest, it's just a bit of fun.

feedback is always welcome. :)

#8 ·
Ooh thanks for the info. I'm not a web guru.i just linked my blogspot to the domain a bought because it looks much better and I'm planning to do more charitable stuff with my boat, hence the.org thing. :)

#9 ·
the latest blog post is up. this time it's an open letter to Mattel, regarding an issue I have with my figure head.

It is designed as sarcastic humour, which includes British references to cockney rhyming slang words describing feet. It does not contain any profanity so is family safe.

Boogie Nights: An open letter to Mattel: Paws for thought.

#11 ·
Took a while but finally found it. Worth the effort. Had a good laugh.
Welcome to this net Boogie Nights.
PS I don't fly any flag - I will when we get our current Prime Minister/dictator replaced with someone human.

#14 ·
Thanks chaps for the positive feedback.
I had a serious ticking off from a forum moderator for breaking the rules: i.e., linking my blog.
I was told it was shameless self promotion.
But in this cynical world, all I (naively) wanted to do was raise a few smiles and perhaps find a few kindred spirits who might nod sagely at my dry humour.
so, thanks, it was worth it.
I best get back to my day job. :)

#16 ·
Thanks chaps for the positive feedback.
I had a serious ticking off from a forum moderator for breaking the rules: i.e., linking my blog.
I was told it was shameless self promotion....
To be accurate, this is what I said after the third post:

Please stop putting up links to your Barbie blog post. Once is enough. More than that is against forum rules.

You started a thread and you duplicated that post in another thread. The second one I deleted. The third is bordering on spam, especially since the majority of your posts are self-promotion rather than an active partipation in the forum.

#18 ·
I don't believe I mentioned 25th december anywhere in the flag blog post or the one about Barbies oversize feet.

have you read something else?

for the record, I don't celebrate the 25th of december but I don't stand in the way of others who do.

#20 ·
You were the one who brought up being contacted by a moderator. If I wanted to "put you in your place" publicly I would have posted what I wrote in private into the forum to begin with. If you're going to portray inaccurately what I wrote to you in a PM, sure, I'll try to set the record straight. The majority of your posts **are** about your blog, I didn't call you "shameless" and you did post the exact same message twice in two different forums and a scaled-down version in a third post. I left the third one, however. You aren't above the rules that we enforce for others.

For what it's worth, I can't stand Barbie. Used to throw mine out of the car and onto the railroad tracks on the way home from the toy store.

#22 ·
Re: A Moggy Pasting

very funny.

Sailnet Rules

now as far as I can tell, I accidentally broke one rule, the one where i posted the same thing in two places.
As I explained to the moderator, I initially posted into the lounge or offtopic area, but then remembered the thread I started last time, and it seemed entirely more appropriate to post in there again. so I did, or at least tried to.

so I posted at the end of this thread (which is my first one), updating it with my latest silly blog post. (my own creative writing, completely non commercial, zero commercial gain for me, no advertisements,it costs me money to me to run it, but it's entirely yachting - all my own copyright and so on)

When I looked back at the thread I couldn't see the thing I posted, so i did it again, assuming, that my mobile internet connection had failed to allow it to upload.

Then I went back to the offtopic area to see if there was a way to delete it, couldn't see how to, I then got distracted by a post about dogs onboard, chihuahuas were mentioned... it just so happens the ships dog I have is a chihuahua...

anyhoo, I then had to work, because, hey I've got a day job working in a university teaching journalism ( great huh) and on my way to switch off my computer (there's 5 hours time difference for me in the UK) I had a message from a moderator berating me for flouting the rules.

I gaped like a fish for a moment. Thought, huh? Replied to the mod. And forgot about it.
It's just a yachting forum afterall.

but hey I do yachting right?
I live on a yacht.
I'm one of very few female owner/skippers.
It's called Boogie Nights. It's a Dehler 36 CWS. (It's an IT, not a she or a he.)
I do solo offshore racing.
I do double handed offshore racing.
I'm a pro yachting journalist for British magazines
I also write about yachting for fun.
I do comedy stuff and videos of my life onboard.
I'm also a motorbike journalist
I'm also a cycle coach (velodrome)
and I'm an editorial photographer and videographer
oh, and I have a small dog.

But, when a mod complains that all I do is self promote, I'd say that is missing the point of a forum. If I cant write or express myself within the rules, which I had been until my accidental double posting, then who exactly do you want contributing to the social forum anyway?
if you are to vet and censor so heavily so that even a simple writer such as myself can't write something to entertain, for fun and zero material gain, is the forum just an excersise in time wasting?

I have plenty to offer, sailing experience wise, and I'm fairly eloquent in my discussions (if ) when I take part, but I need to feel the temperature of the forum first. Given the slightly different culture between UK and USA, it is wise of me to do that.

I appreciate there must be plenty of chancers who love to post spam and try to advertise their businesses to the forum, I guess there must be a fair number of posts or threads the mods quite rightly need to adjust or delete.

I don't think I am in that category. I'm in the UK for a start. I initially looked up sailnet.com because my co-skipper just bought herself her own boat. It's in ft lauderdale. She just completed the sale (on a sweden 37) a few days ago and will be out there for the next three weeks.

I hope the folks there are more welcoming than the mods here!

#30 ·
What this forum desperately needs is a "dislike" button for each comment as well as the "like" button. The like button presumes readers will only like a comment or be neutral about the comment. The "dislike" button will certainly let the obnoxious posters know how their comment is perceived by the reader community.

#33 ·
Sailnet is a bit strange for non-americans. Does take some time to get used to. When I started to post here I was attacked without any reason or logic, still confused on motive. Certainly not facts.
(after those experiences I have some few comments on the US educational system).

There are different tactics on how to act when questioned. Jayne explained her view, that must be telling the story in the first person. No reason to critizice that fact.

Boogie Nights is great fun, and of high value. Read some parts and you will see. Just now thinking of the chapter on how the mast had to be renewed. Lessons to be learned for all of us with masts that are not so very new.

At the same time, I have never (yet) had any issues with any of the mods. Many other have had, that is obvious.

/J

#36 ·
Sailnet is a bit strange for non-americans.

At the same time, I have never (yet) had any issues with any of the mods. Many other have had, that is obvious.

/J
America is strange to Non-Americans. SailNet however has done a self improvement course .... it's now Canadian. :eek::eek:

Jaramaz .... once you come to terms with the fact that us mods, particularly that Australian knobhead, are a pack of megalomaniacal slugs living poor sad lonely desperate lives while lying in wait for the next hapless soul to stumble through the door you'll sleep easier in your bed. I know I do.

Reactions: Seaduction
#35 ·
Ms Boogie ... or should that be Ms Nights .... has decided to turn this into a veritable Force 12 in a teacup. So be it but one can see no good approaching.

Whether you broke those rules deliberately or not is really quite irrelevent. You were informed of that fact privately and a couple of duplicate posts were removed. Standard operating procedure.

You then decided to very publicly get your knickers into a major twist. More fool you. I'd suggest you pull your head in and stop your whining. Then you'll get to enjoy the forum and those who find your stuff amusing get to chortle along and enjoy your attempts at humour.

Simple really.

#43 ·
Having lived outside the states for some 18 years in Norway, it's been interesting to meet other Americans here. Some come to Norway and are the stereo typical loud American. It's embarrassing, but that's just the way is sometimes. It ain't at times pretty. Especially when they are new and don't realize that you can get farther entering a little softer than walking right in and throwing your credentials around and complaining when you enter a room looking for attention. There are some others though that are a little more international and catch on quicker to take it cool.

We're not all that bad, but at times though, we too have our winners that are just over the top for anyone.

Jaramaz, sorry to hear you got harassed starting out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.