SailNet Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have run across a 1989 Catalina 27 that shall we say is a little damp. The owner didn''t winterize properly and the boat took on water thru the H2O intake on the inboard diesel. The H2O froze and split the intake filter. The boat went down to the top of the deck flooding all electronics and engine. It was down in a VERY clean and clear lake for almost 48 hours. Since the engine has been checked out by a mechanic, run and pickled. The electronic board will need to be replaced as well as the cushions. Is this boat to be avoided. The ownner will take $10K for the boat with an aditional $4K at the end of 1 year if all is well with the boat. Any and all repairs will be deducted from the balance due after the year. Any suggestions?
Signed,
Skeptically wet behind the ears

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
HAMIAM,
Thanks so much for the information on URI and the others. How would you suggest moving a 28'' to 30'' boat from their loccation in RI to the midwest? I am new to this and not sure what types of costs would be associated with such a move. Again any suggestions are very much appreciated.
Michael

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all who replied to this post. I settled on and bought a 91 Capri 26. The boat seems to have everything I need (and many things I don''t) to start off in my sailing experience.
Seemed like everyone was in agreement that the Cat 27 should be avoided.
Again thanks to all the knowledgeable people on SailNet.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I''m new to this forum so please bear with me. I was curious as to why avoid 27ft Catalina? I heard they were good for ocean voyages. Any tidbits would be helpful, as we are in the process of choosing our boat. Right now we have a 1968 26ft Grampian and it''s almost like choosing a mate. Just as difficult! :) Any comments welcomed about the 27 Catalina. One of the features we read about was they rolled real good to come right back up. Not that I want it to roll all the way under and back up but to know a boat could withstand the harsh weather and waves is a good thing. :)

Thanks for your time....

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you so much for the replies....I am new at sailing and have been reading so much my eyes are a fixed red. The real learning I have been experiencing is our weekend trips out on the Coast of MS....it''s been exciting to say the least.
We were looking at some Cat 27''s for ocean voyaging because of the wing keel. Less hassle I suppose. Lightning Struck (our boat) has a 4.3 ft keel.

We started building a Tiki 30 Catamaran but I love the way Lightning Struck(Grampian 26)heels over as the wind fills her sails. We could modify our Grampian to be more sea worthy but wanted to check other options also. At present time on 26ft G. we are looking at making the cockpit smaller and shortning the cabin door. But haven''t closed the door looking at other boats....Within four years time come hell or high waters we will live aboard and cut the dock lines for good. :) My future husband has experience sailing and got his start on the water by sea kayaking from Florida to the Bahama''s and Dominican Republic.... He has alot to teach me and I love every minute of it!

Thanks again!
Becky

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Jeff for the info. I may be opening a door to alot of different options but I was wondering if you (or anyone) can give me a clue as to what is a sea worthy boat that has crossed oceans?
As I said in previous posting, we haven''t closed doors to other options such as, instead of modifying Grampian but to sell her and invest in different vessel.

(think I should do some more reading...oivey...got some visine?)

Thanks for your time,

Becky

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wildpony you might want to check out this site.
http://www.johnsboatstuff.com/default.htm
I have found it to have a usefull amount of inf. on Bluewater boats. I am sure that it will give you more things to think about.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.