SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A bottom cleaners Hookah

What do you think of this

One of the bottom Cleaners has this setup for boat cleaning, he has a Husky 1.5 gallon air compressor, the hose goes from the compressor, thru a water seperator filter, then thru another disposable filter ( maybe a charcoal filter ) before going to the divers regulator.

I kept my eye on him while working on the boat as he spent about 1.5 hrs doing a couple boats. In between boats I asked him about his setup and how it worked, he said he's been using the same getup for ten yrs without brain damage :D ( his words ) and he feels its a perfect setup for bottom cleaning only ( not diving ) So whatya think, is this a crazy man contraption, (Though it did seem to work well ), can you think of a better way to build this ? He said the whole deal cost him about 250.00

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
The second disposable filter is probably one to catch particulates and air-borne oil droplets, since he isn't using an oilless compressor.

The way he has it built is pretty typical. I wouldn't be using a standard air compressor...

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Sorry wrong thread - with a name like this, I'd thought I'd find Smacker loitering here

Actually na dont worry

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
Once your about four feet down, most people don't have a strong enough diaphragm to fight the pressure of the water compressing the chest...and then you can't breathe in.. :)
I've always wondered why a long hose, with a check valve and a mouth piece wouldn't work.

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The second disposable filter is probably one to catch particulates and air-borne oil droplets, since he isn't using an oilless compressor.

The way he has it built is pretty typical. I wouldn't be using a standard air compressor...
I just looked up the specs on this AC and it is a oil free compressor; I really thought this idea was gonna get hammered as a bad idea that makes the Darwin list, but I guess it isn't all that different than a regular hookah, just not as compact

·
the pointy end is the bow
6,265 Posts
The dock divers are using similar setups up here too. Cart it down, plug it in to the customer's electric box and jump in the water. No tanks to get inspected and no trips back and forth to the dive shop for more bubbles.

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
If you think about it...in the long run, it'd be alot cheaper than having to re-fill tanks...especially on jobs that are more time intensive...since a hookah rig has a much longer duration for your time spent at 6' down... :)

·
Aspiring to be a Mexican
543 Posts
Auto body shops have been using filtered air compressed by a regular oil fed compressor for clean air in a spraybooth for years. Many manufacturers offer a belt mounted filter/regulator assembly for not a lot of money. The technology is there and well tested over a large group of users. Sounds like a good idea except for the bottom cleaning part- I did that once...

With a setup like described I'd be really careful about exhaust fumes, things could get screwy!

·
Sea Slacker
1,789 Posts
plus - no heavy tanks to lug in and out and bang on the hull and such if you turn which ever way. all you've got is a hose.

considering a shallow depth at which this work is done (less than 6 feet under the surface) it really is a better solution. and if anything happens to compressor - from 6 feet ascending is not an issue at all, just say "ahh" and be up 6 seconds or so.

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you think about it...in the long run, it'd be alot cheaper than having to re-fill tanks...especially on jobs that are more time intensive...since a hookah rig has a much longer duration for your time spent at 6' down... :)
Yep according to this guy, 60-80 dollars a week depending on work load for air, plus not being dependant on shop hrs, so he can start early, work late and do weekends.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I just looked up the specs on this AC and it is a oil free compressor; I really thought this idea was gonna get hammered as a bad idea that makes the Darwin list, but I guess it isn't all that different than a regular hookah, just not as compact

So what were the specs, what was the model number ?? do you know exactly what filters ?? Always wanted a hookah ...

·
Registered
451 Posts
Easy to find oil, water, particulate filters. What is important is you buy proper regulater (mouthpiece) and airline (for breathing).

·
I don't discuss my member
2,652 Posts
Rule #1 for hookahs- NEVER, EVER USE AN OIL-LUBRICATED COMPRESSOR!!!

Rule #2 for hookahs- NEVER, EVER USE ANY AIR HOSE NOT SPECIFICALLY DESIGNED TO PROVIDE BREATHING AIR!!!

I have used the Thomas model 1020 for 15 years. It's small, rugged, lightweight, has no reserve tanks (an unnecessary addition, IMHO), can support two divers and is easily rebuilt for less than $75.00. They are not sold everywhere but I've seen them on Amazon.com for about $225.00.

·
"Sparkie"
343 Posts
Rule #1 for hookahs- NEVER, EVER USE AN OIL-LUBRICATED COMPRESSOR!!!

Rule #2 for hookahs- NEVER, EVER USE ANY AIR HOSE NOT SPECIFICALLY DESIGNED TO PROVIDE BREATHING AIR!!!

I have used the Thomas model 1020 for 15 years. It's small, rugged, lightweight, has no reserve tanks (an unnecessary addition, IMHO), can support two divers and is easily rebuilt for less than $75.00. They are not sold everywhere but I've seen them on Amazon.com for about $225.00.

FB,
Have you ever used or have any input about the 12vdc compressors used on some systems?
DD

·
2,652 Posts
FB,
Have you ever used or have any input about the 12vdc compressors used on some systems?
DD
I have never used one, so I really have nothing constructive to offer. I suspect they are not up to the daily usage a professional hull cleaner would put them through. Probably just fine for occasional use by a boat owner however.

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I saw the 1020 on Toolbarn dot com last night for 215.00

Fst, does yours have any kind of filter ( internal or external ) if so, what kind and why

·
2,652 Posts
Fst, does yours have any kind of filter ( internal or external ) if so, what kind and why
The 1020 comes with an intake filter (filter media is paper, I believe) and I have used an inline filter in the air hose in the past, but haven't bothered with that for years.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts