SailNet Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is an account of one our members on the Cabo Rico owners group that occurred during a crossing from Tampa Bay to Panama City...

"So during my 3 day Gulf crossing with no engine. We encountered a noreaster with 60 knot winds with waves just short of the spreaders. My Cabo heaves too great up too about 45 of wind before it starts foreaching out of its slick. We deployed the para anchor successfully and rode on it for 14 hours. Unfortunately when we pulled it in one of the waves forced the anchor under the boat and tangled into the propeller. We sailed just shy of 230 miles without an engine and with the anchor still in the prop. Conditions did not justify cutting it out at Sea. I have a new found respect for engine less boats. I will post pics of the fouled anchor in the prop when i get them from my buddys camera."

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
Glad to hear you folks are safe. sounds like a rough trip indeed.
I would have thought that Cabo Rico props would be less prone to snagging stuff as they are enclosed by the rudder. No?

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
...more details on their trip..

"We departed from Tampa shipping channel, destination was Panama City Beach until we lost the engine. I then decided to make a 50 mile tack to Carabelle Florida. We hove too two nights and lost 24 or more hours toward our destination."

"We were flying a loose footed trisail which was to much sail for 60 knots sustained winds. The 100 cubic foot storm jib seemed to be a little much as well. Hard to tell though, the rudder placement and sheet adjustment is imparrative. The storm anchor was the first I've used, i honestly believe it saved my life 2 nights ago. We had 400 foot of line and the fiorintino 9 foot canopy. It keep the bow head to wind but did tack the bow back and forth a bit. I was conformable motion below the entire time."

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
My understanding they lost their engine and ended sailing to their alternate port thus ending up in the storm...

"We departed from Tampa shipping channel, destination was Panama City Beach until we lost the engine. I then decided to make a 50 mile tack to Carabelle Florida. We hove too two nights and lost 24 or more hours toward our destination."

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.