SailNet Community banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Advanced beginner
296 Posts
It is pretty stunning how many people come here with similar posts. Personally, I find coastal cruising to be a pretty sobering school for big water dreams: there's a big difference in effort, discomfort, and danger between lying on a beach in the tropics and sailing there.

I'm sure I started thinking I would eventually cross oceans but this week I'm thrilled to have figured our how to fix my freshwater system before untying for a 3 day cruise in coastal waters.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Don't waste your time! The OP hasn't been back since his snide little "metrosexual" comment.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

·
Master Mariner
8,550 Posts
Personally, I find coastal cruising to be a pretty sobering school for big water dreams: there's a big difference in effort, discomfort, and danger between lying on a beach in the tropics and sailing there.
I don't quite get your point. Coastal sailing is way more dangerous than deep water sailing, if you have a well found boat. Rocks sink small boats, waves generally don't. Inter-island sailing in the Caribbean is about as easy as it gets. There are few offshore reefs or rocks, so if you don't get too close to what you can see, you're OK. Currents are for the most part mild, if you are from far up north (or south), and the cruising guides are spot on.
The BVIs are the kindergarten of island sailing and after a few trips there you'd be fine to sail on down the chain.

·
Advanced beginner
296 Posts
I don't quite get your point. Coastal sailing is way more dangerous than deep water sailing, if you have a well found boat. Rocks sink small boats, waves generally don't. Inter-island sailing in the Caribbean is about as easy as it gets. There are few offshore reefs or rocks, so if you don't get too close to what you can see, you're OK. Currents are for the most part mild, if you are from far up north (or south), and the cruising guides are spot on.
The BVIs are the kindergarten of island sailing and after a few trips there you'd be fine to sail on down the chain.
Well that's reassuring. First time I've heard the opinion that coastal cruising is more dangerous than deep water sailing. Guess my Chesapeake adventures are more daring than I thought!

·
Master Mariner
8,550 Posts
Well that's reassuring. First time I've heard the opinion that coastal cruising is more dangerous than deep water sailing. Guess my Chesapeake adventures are more daring than I thought!
You certainly have a lot more traffic to deal with in a day than we do, though you probably don't get the afternoon entertainment we do watching the credit card captains trying to anchor on a nice sandy bottom. :ROFLMAO:lol

21 - 25 of 25 Posts