SailNet Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A few weeks ago we tried to sail from Porto to Gibraltar and ended up turning around after a few hours.

Last week we were able to get all the way to Gibraltar, but the first day was still rather sporty. I don't have 10 posts yet, so I can't embed the video or the link. Sorry. You can see the video on our blog - see my signature. Maybe someone with the "cred" can embed them in a reply post?

Edit -
I guess I can't have a link in my signature either. Ah well. There is a video out there somewhere in the internet world. I'd like to show it to you, but I can't. Movin' on...

·
Registered
16,464 Posts
Or maybe I can have a link in my signature?! Seems to be working now.

You have to post more!:)

Very nice video but I don't understand why you use with a strong back wind a deeply reefed main and no front sail. That makes the boat have a bigger roll movement and if the wind really increased you would have rounded up. Then you would have to turn to the wind, to reduce further the sail or to take it down and fly a small front sail. Turning to the wind in strong wind without the help of a front sail is not easy even with the help of the engine. Well, nothing that had not happened to me:D

I believe that flying a jib or small genoa instead of that main would have made sailing easier and safer for you and would also have allowed a much easier reducing of sail in the case the wind would have got stronger.

What do you think?

Regards

Paulo

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.