SailNet Community banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
MY SUGGESTION IS TO INVESTIGATE THE CATALINA CAPRI 22 MODEL. I HAVE OWNED THIS FOR 7 YEARS AND IT WAS MY FIRST LARGE MONOHULL. THE WING KEEL IS BEST FOR OVERALL EASE OF LAUNCHING AND LOADING (ELSE FIN FOR RACING & POINTING PERFORMANCE). THE COCKPIT IS HUGE( WITH 2 LARGE SCUPPERS) AND THE BOAT WAS DESIGNED FOR CLUB RACING SO PERFORMANCE IS BETTER THAN THE CATALINA 22. I FREQUENTLY GO OUT SOLO AND CAN HANDLE THE ENTIRE OUTING SMOOTHLY. ORIGINALLY, I WANTED A CRUISING SAILBOAT FOR LONG WEEKENDS, BUT, ALTHO THE CAPRI LACKS A GALLEY , THE BERTHS ARE COMFORTABLE AND I BRING A JUG OF H2O AND OTHER CAMPING EQPT TO MAKE UP THE DIFFERENCE.

I DON''T RACE BUT I LIKE THE PERFORMANCE FACTOR. LOOK FOR A ROLLER FURLING HEADSAIL FOR SINGLEHANDING. THE "RACE PACKAGE" EQUIPPED BOATS SEEMED TO HAVE INCLUDED THIS OPTION. SAIL MAGAZINE JUST LISTED TOP 10 BOATS AND SITED THE CAPRI 22 AS A WELL-MANNERED VESSEL. I WAS AMAZED AT THE LOW PRICE OF A NEW ONE - $200 ABOVE MY 1990''S COST.

THEY ARE QUITE POPULAR IN THE NORTHEAST, ESPECIALLY IN THE FINGERLAKES REGION OF UPSTATE NY, WHERE I LIVE. TO ME, THE J22 ( ANY J-BOAT FOR THAT MATTER) IS PURELY PERFORMANCE/RACING - AND THEIR PRICE REFLECTS THAT CAPABILITY.
MY REQUIREMENTS WERE: THAT I COULD TRAILER IN ORDER TO SAVE WINTER STORAGE AND BE ABLE TO DO MY OWN MAINTENANCE TO KEEP COSTS DOWN( THERE''S VERY LITTLE TEAK TRIM; TO HAVE SPACE TO ENTERTAIN ON DAYSAILS AND DO OCCASIONAL OVERNIGHTS. MY TRUCK IS CHEVY S-10 WITH THE 4.3L , 180HP MOTOR. THE BOAT WEIGHS 2250 + 650 FOR TRAILER WHICH FROM EXPERIENCE I COULD HAUL USING A MIN OF150 HORSEPOWER ENGINE VEHICLE - WHICH MEANT REASONABLE MPG''S WHEN I WASN''T TOWING.

ALSO I RECALL MY FIRST IMPRESSIONS OF RELATIVE STABILITY WHEN SAILING THIS SIZE CRAFT( GOOD FOR LEARNING) YET I WAS AT THE LOW END OF THE SPECTRUM(COST/SIZE) FOR BOATS WITH A CABIN(GOOD FOR NASTY WEATHER SURPRISES). GOOD LUCK AND PLEASE E-MAIL ME FOR FURTHER INFO AND SPECIFIC Q''S. I SPENT ABOUT 2 YEARS SEARCHING BEFORE DECIDING ON THE CAPRI 22 AND HAVE SEEN SOME OTHER SUITABLE MODELS.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts