SailNet Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With a bit more time on his hands than normal at this time of year... one of our top yacht delivery skippers has made a tutorial about Navionics:

Let me know what you think? We are thinking of doing a weather tutorial next...

Pete

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
I installed a Navionics app years ago on my android phone and tablet. I sail in Southern New England. I basically use a B&G chartplotter in the cockpit for "navigation" and B&G instruments for "sailing data" I don't have an N2K network. I use the app as a "back up" to see where the boat is and wear it is heading... on my phone. And that about it. The icon says USA

I am not interested in route planning. Dropping a waypoint and getting DTW, CTW. TTG would be handy I suppose.

I know Navionics has now upgraded and I don't understand if I need whatever features the upgrade provides. Can you shed some light for me?

It's handy and I have a chart to refer to in my pocket no matter where I am. Real time charting was really a game changer and then they went nuts with all manner of "extras"... which are of dubious value and none to me.

·
Master Mariner
8,371 Posts
Anybody know if it is compatible with Linux?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Anybody know if it is compatible with Linux?
No, it is an Android and iOS smartphone app.

Navionics discontinued their PC based charting program a few years ago. They have a really got chart viewer on their website, but of course that requires an internet connection, and doesn't provide the ability to communicate directly to your MFD thru WiFi (assuming you have a supported MFD).

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
I have some Navionics charts install on my win7pro desktop at home. I only use it to look at harbors and so forth and measure distances. And that just fine. I don't bother with route planning.

·
12,163 Posts
I do use Navionics for overall route Planning, especially when I want to travel outside our basic weekend cruising grounds. It’s helpful with current strength hour to hour, distances. I don’t sail waypoint to waypoint .

Reactions: SanderO

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
I do use Navionics for overall route Planning, especially when I want to travel outside our basic weekend cruising grounds. It’s helpful with current strength hour to hour, distances. I don’t sail waypoint to waypoint .
Well that makes sense. I would do the same if I were going to Maine or the Chessie. When sailing locally in familiar waters (LIS).... I let the wind/weather inform where I will go for the weekend... schedules don't matter much at all. H\I hardly even need a chart... 35 years in LIS...

·
12,163 Posts
Well that makes sense. I would do the same if I were going to Maine or the Chessie. When sailing locally in familiar waters (LIS).... I let the wind/weather inform where I will go for the weekend... schedules don't matter much at all. H\I hardly even need a chart... 35 years in LIS...
Some of the areas around here I’m like that, but because there are so many varied places to anchor on the Chesapeake on e dry creek it’s nice to have Navionics on the plotter in front of me at the helm.

Reactions: SanderO

·
Registered
31 Posts
My husband and I used Navionics throughout Florida, the Bahamas and Caribbean when we were cruising full time. We used the app on a tablet. The cool thing about Navionics is that they sync between tablets and chartplotters so you can plan a route from your couch on your tablet and then sync it to your chartplotter onboard your boat. There are a lot of cool features like the SonarChart layer which provides extremely detailed contours (and the density is customizable), AIS, and more.
One of the really cool things is that you can collect depth data as you go (called SonarChart Live) and the data is uploaded to be included in chart updates so that others benefit from your data as well (and you are benefiting from other boaters' data also).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts