SailNet Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Master Mariner
8,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most of you probably have little or no experience living in the Caribbean, especially on the smaller islands like Carriacou or Bequia.
Returning to the US for the first time in around 7 years, going into a supermarket here is like a kid in a candy store for me! I just want to buy everything that just plain isn't available down there.
Even simple things like celery or a variety of salad makings can be hard to come by. Twice we haven't even been able to buy limes for several weeks on any island (the bars didn't even have them) and it is darn hard to make a good G & T without limes! I mean come on now, limes are round and fall off the tree and roll down to the bottom of a hill, but folks seem to be unwilling to collect them and sell them!
Even when some basic things are available, you had better buy a few more than you want or need because when the stores run out it can be months before they are restocked (if ever).
So every time you think how lucky we are to be living in the Caribbean, think how lucky you are when you go into a fully stocked supermarket. Then again, some of you have to deal with traffic, snow and such....

·
Administrator
7,167 Posts
American supermarket? Boy-o-boy.... I'm in France and the supermarket pickings are simply sensational... And then the twice weekly farmers markets from real farmers at low prices. Yum.

Enjoy the respite of the North 🙂

1 - 2 of 2 Posts