SailNet Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Administrator
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Next week (week of 11/17/08) we'll be starting a daily email from the shop.sailnet.com store to everyone on the forum.

Over the past year we've developed an electronic interface to one our largest suppliers that enables us to maintain the most recent pricing, inventory levels, place orders electronically and send you shipping/tracking notifications when orders are placed in order to expedite your orders, operate more efficiently and provide better customer service to you, our customers.

This supplier (like all companies in business) is interested in turning their inventory over as often as possible and insuring that inventory does not sit on shelves - especially in this economy.

As such we've been pushing them to provide a list of sale, closeout and re-manufactured items to us electronically on a daily basis so that our customers can be the first to know about these items - many with very limited inventory so that shop.sailnet.com customers can benefit from the savings offered. Quantities are limited on the close-out and remanufactured items and we want to insure our members know about thse great deals before anyone else.

Therefore during the early portion of next week you'll begin to receive our 'Daily Specials' email. The format of this email is very simple and straight forward showing a short product description, list price, sale price, date sale expires and quantity on hand for closeout and re-manufactured items. (no pictures or graphics in these emails)

Understanding FULL WELL that not everyone wants an email everyday about these great deals, you'll be able to click on a link in the email and change your delivery options to:

1) Once per week
or
2) Every 2,3,4,5 or 6 days

or

Unsubscribe from the email.

kindest regards

Jeff J
www.sailnet.com & shop.sailnet.com

·
Wandering Aimlessly
22,037 Posts
Seems like a perfectly reasonable idea to me.

·
Aquaholic
1,139 Posts
Likewise. I also feel that it displays a high level of integrity and foresight to post this in advance.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
I don't have a problem with this, and if I ever do, I have remedies.

I realize that bandwidth and servers aren't free, and that it's only fair that a business like yours should solicit my attention.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Jeff-

Thanks for the heads up. :)

·
moderate?
1,000 Posts
Wait a Minute there Admin!!
This is outrageous!! You are going to send me e-mails giving me inside deals on marine bargains and chew up all my e-mail bandwidth??? And the ONLY remedies you propose if I don't like it is to adjust the frequency or opt out??
This is a total outrage...I propose a REBATE from sailnet of 1/63,664 of my monthly internet bill for your imposition on my valuable!! On second thought, just cancel my subscription and refund the unused portion!!
....ooops...never mind! :D :D

·
Administrator
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wait a Minute there Admin!!
This is outrageous!! You are going to send me e-mails giving me inside deals on marine bargains and chew up all my e-mail bandwidth??? And the ONLY remedies you propose if I don't like it is to adjust the frequency or opt out??
This is a total outrage...I propose a REBATE from sailnet of 1/63,664 of my monthly internet bill for your imposition on my valuable!! On second thought, just cancel my subscription and refund the unused portion!!
....ooops...never mind! :D :D
no problem - :batter:chainsaw:hammer:clobber

·
Registered
801 Posts
I dunno, I don't mind a thousand more emails. They all go to the spam box anyway.

However, I think that everyone who gets emails should get free stuff too :)

How about, say, new PFDs for everyone in each family?

:)

·
Owner, Green Bay Packers
1,000 Posts
Alright, I'll be the first.

Maybe an e-mail once a week might be fine but I think someone is making a dreadful error in launching a daily e-mail attack on unsuspecting sailnet members. Regular members who've read this post will know what to do with it but, I suspect, that the vast majority of the membership is going to regard it as a real nuisance. They've got a word for that and I believe it begins with 'S'.

I didn't fall off the turnip wagon last night; any great deals would keep until the end or beginning of a week. Daily? Right? I love sailnet and try to buy from them as much as possible and I'm already irritated about this before I've even received an e-mail.

I recently bought a pair of boots on-line and every day since I've been spammed by the store I bought them from. Can you say, bye bye? Contrast that with pyacht, whom I ended up not buying my autopilot from in favor of sailnet. They send me an occasional e-mail, at most once a month. One merchant will stay on my e-mail list, the other will not.

It wouldn't make any sense to just have a thread in Gear & Maintenance that listed today's blue plate special would it? Nah, that'd only reach the people who use sailnet. Instead, let's spam the vast majority who use sailnet as needed. Just my prediction but, I'd wager this will not end well.

·
Registered
4,507 Posts
It wouldn't make any sense to just have a thread in Gear & Maintenance that listed today's blue plate special would it? Nah, that'd only reach the people who use sailnet. Instead, let's spam the vast majority who use sailnet as needed. Just my prediction but, I'd wager this will not end well.
I thought the same thing when I first read this post. That would work better with many people, I think.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Jeff J,

Good idea, but I don't get e-mail notifications from Sailnet, it hasn't worked for months.:mad: :mad: :mad:

I would appreciate it being fixed. :hammer Thank you. :)

PS. Don't listen to Cam, the FLID doesn't know what he's talking about.:D :D :D

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I have absolutely no issue with it. Truth is that I often find myself flipping through Defender or West magazines and thinking about buying things. And hey... if you like it, leave it like it is. If you do not. Change the frequency. If not that, get off the list. What's the big deal?

Go for it Jeff. Anything we can do to help your business is great. However, you might ALSO put up a running thread to make it a sticky on bargains for those that cannot get the message or wish not to. I would support that and I think 99% of the members would to.

In essense, do both.

- CD

·
Owner, Green Bay Packers
1,000 Posts
I have absolutely no issue with it. Truth is that I often find myself flipping through Defender or West magazines and thinking about buying things. And hey... if you like it, leave it like it is. If you do not. Change the frequency. If not that, get off the list. What's the big deal?

Go for it Jeff. Anything we can do to help your business is great. However, you might ALSO put up a running thread to make it a sticky on bargains for those that cannot get the message or wish not to. I would support that and I think 99% of the members would to.

In essense, do both.

- CD
For a moron, you have these rare but spectacular moments of lucidity. I'd give you some good rep but I think I did that last year. And then, what would I have to give you for Christmas?

Thanks, CD! Lest anyone get a misimpression, I've always been happy with purchasing things from the sailnet store and found them very responsive as well as competitive price wise. I encourage everyone to use them as I do. Even if it costs a buck more, it's worth it just for the sailnet site. If I haven't saved some serious bucks by being a member here, from what I've learned from other members, well then, it's just because I cannot count very well.

·
Registered
7,298 Posts
At least there is a way to make the daily stuff weekly. The only issue for having daily, is if there is a oncy twosy item. otherwise, weekly is plenty, with maybe a spot on the site to check the daily specials etc.

marty
From 6000-9000' on mt hood doing ear to ear arcs in the snow!

·
Aeolus II
670 Posts
You Gotta Pay to Play

If the price of admission here is an email from Sailnet asking I look at sailing bargains, then so be it. I suspect these will be limited to the holiday season. Seems like a fair trade to me.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts