SailNet Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a 28'-29' boat for coastal cruising and possibly a little phrf racing. We are trying to decide between a Freedom 28, Ericson 28+, Ericson 29, Islander 28, C&C 29II, and a Cal 28. I was hoping to hear from those who have hands on experience with these boats or other boats this size. Unfortunately our slip will not accommodate anything larger than 29'.

·
19,488 Posts
Knowing what region you're in will help with with suggestions and comment.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am located in Southern California where, unfortunately, Sabres, Tartans, Pearsons and S2's are pretty rare. The boats I listed are all for sale in the area and in the 15k - 25k price range I am shopping.

·
no longer reading SailNet
2,309 Posts
I looked at much of that list when buying my Pearson 28-2 (not a common boat in Seattle either, but I was lucky to come across one).

I don't think the Freedom 28/29 is well suited to PHRF racing. It's just too different. I also didn't like having the mast come down in the center of the V-berth.

C&C 29 or Islander 28 would be at the top of my list from what you listed. Maybe the Ericson 28+, but I didn't look at any of those.

You might also try to see a Olson 911S. They will perform better than anything else that you've listed, can sometimes be in the same price range, and has a nice cruiseable interior. We looked at once that was in terrible shape, but it made me interested in finding other examples. They are pretty common on the west coast.

·
ASA and PSIA Instructor
4,186 Posts
I also wouldn't
hesitate to recommend the Cal 28-2 from that group. The 28-2 is a lovely small cruiser with a good turn the speed and designed with an excellent interior. If you can spend a little more money you could look for J 28 which would give you all the performance you'll ever find that size boat.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
870 Posts
J-28 would fit right in here. Though not many were built and it commands a bit of a premium over the others.

I've always had a thing for the Pearson 28, and J-28 for their aft-head arrangements which seem particularly well suited to a boat this size.

If I were to trade for a more "practical boat" at basically the same size and fixed costs those would be high on my list.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts