SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Closet Powerboater
3,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking that it's time to try boating life with an autopilot. Previously I've had various incarnations of the "Bungeepilot 4000" but now I think I'd like a rest form the tyranny of the wheel, especially under motor.

What I was thinking was that if I get a large burly autopilot that connects directly to the steering post, instead of the wheel, I would have some form of emergency steering if my cable system were to go hayWIRE:laugher :laugher

Seriously though, the belt systems that connect to the wheel sound like they're always breaking and something mounted under the deck with a big more oomph might be just the ticket.

Any suggestions? Experience?

MedSailor

·
Banned
1,264 Posts
Yes, we have an Autohelm, undermounted, for exactly the reason you describe, although thankfully we've never had to put it to the test. It's substantially oversized for the weight of our boat, our theory being that if it is beefier, it has to work less hard, hence less power consumption and less wear and tear. So far we've been extremely happy with the configuration. (I don't remember the exact model, will post that in this evening when I get home)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts