SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
moderate?
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a quick note for those who post on both sites like me.
A-S was just hacked 6:30 Eastern time on 8/11 so it is NOT your computer with a problem.
CKG is a couple of hours from home so it will be late this evening at the earliest before the site is back up.
Alex will let me know when things are back to normal and I will post here.

·
Registered
9,378 Posts
Merci mucho for the update.

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
If you google the hacker, it looks like over 100 sites that he hacked are running vbulletin. He may have found a weakness in vbuletin and is making his way around the sites that are running vbulletin. Just a guess, mind you.

·
Anything-Sailing Founder
2,241 Posts
its a script kiddie hack i think. I'm a rev behind on updates which is probably how they got in.

I have backups but as cam said, I'm a ways from home. hard to restore a site while driving :)

shouldn't take too long but we may lose todays posts.

·
Once known as Hartley18
5,179 Posts
Thanks for letting us know, Cam & CK - please keep us updated

I hope you catch the little %^@*!! :mad:

I guess Sailnet has it's uses after all - despite the ads.. :(

·
Anything-Sailing Founder
2,241 Posts

catching wont matter. he's outside the us so not likely i'd be able to prosecute anyway.

·
Once known as Hartley18
5,179 Posts
catching wont matter. he's outside the us so not likely i'd be able to prosecute anyway.
Bummer... Looking forward to the site being up again.

I know you probly had something better to do today, so thank you in advance for all your hard work, Chris - it is REALLY appreciated! :)

·
Once known as Hartley18
5,179 Posts
Now it's all clear. Traffic on A-S today was pretty much dedicated to roasting Sway. I bet he had a brigade of Young Republicans launch an offensive. :)
...in that case: "BLAME ALEX! It's his fault! He started it!!" ;) :D

·
Anything-Sailing Founder
2,241 Posts
Bummer... Looking forward to the site being up again.

I know you probly had something better to do today, so thank you in advance for all your hard work, Chris - it is REALLY appreciated! :)
thanks for the appreciation. I was in Raleigh (about 175 miles away) doing something for work. I'll get it up asap. just gotta restore the backups.

·
Super Fuzzy Moderator
17,137 Posts

including the unpaid ones for AS ?

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
TD, you must tell me someday how you filter it all out. I find this site is still so darned slow. :(
I know how to do it, but I don't. Servers, power, bandwidth, somebody to maintain it all--all that costs money. Adverts are how Sailnet supports the site. The least I can do is let 'em display the adverts, even if all they accomplish, in my case, is to slow things down :p. (I do occasionally follow a link, if it looks interesting. But not often.)

Not every site has a well-heeled sugar daddy to support it gratis ;)

Jim

·
Registered
7,304 Posts
It's "cam's" fault, now to figure out if it is the OZZY one, or the right coast one.......hmmmmmm.............

1 - 20 of 43 Posts