SailNet Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
enjoy these...Dyneema steering lines, hand made one off composite quadrant, conical alluminium rudder shaft, conical needle bearings, double bearing support.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
I take it the two color of the lines are for the two different wheels you have on the boat???

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
Giu,

That is an impressive piece of hardware. Very nice!

How do you attach your emergency tiller?

Also, the white and yellow cables that attach at the rudder stock through bolt, what is their purpose? Are they a detente?

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
Very pretty colors, and likely quite a weight savings. Though they're not likely to suffer much from UV degradation, are you looking forward to checking them for chafe and flex-stress breakage each watch?

·
Owner, Green Bay Packers
1,000 Posts
Is the quadrant collar intentionally split around the rudder stock or has it cracked? What's to keep it from splitting further? I'd have dog-eared those mounting flanges for the steering cables so that, if necessary, the securing bolts could be tightened without removal of the steering cables. Nice piece of work that.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Very pretty. Looks more maintenance friendly that it's metal counterparts. But.. in the unlikely event both helm positions are rendered inoperative where do you stick the e-tiller? And how in the world do you mount an autopilot drive to that thang???

·
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I take it the two color of the lines are for the two different wheels you have on the boat???
Dan..not really..each wheel has a blue line for out turn and a yellow for return. The Blues go outside and by puuling on blues only I know the boat turns outside, by pulling yellows it turns inside..If I grab a blue and a yellow I know which one to pull for direction, and also for adjustment when tensioning.

Giu,

That is an impressive piece of hardware. Very nice!

How do you attach your emergency tiller?

Also, the white and yellow cables that attach at the rudder stock through bolt, what is their purpose? Are they a detente?
John, I don't have an emergency tiller, no need to, the quadrant has a big access door as you can see from the photos..I just opened the door and that's what you see. The system is so simple and is so accessible from any place, from the wheels to the quandrant, that even in an emergency you can steer simply rotating the quadrant with your hands or feet, and sit on the edge of the compartment. It's right there.

Here you can see the hatch access on the floor.

if one wheel fails, I still have the other one, the chances of both failing mechanically at the same time are low, if a failure occurs would be the dyneema lines, and I have spares. And in a few minutes you can re-rig the system..

Inside the wheel columns there is a sprocket and a motorcycle chain, that attach to the dyneema lines. even if that fails, there is a second channel to rig the system all with dyneema.

The yellow line behind, is the line that connects to the rudder position indicator arm of the auto pilot, (that Raymarine position indicator is spring loaded in one direction), so you only need a line to pull it...center the rudder, pull the line until the indicator reads centered rudder and bingo...

The white line is a connection to a zinc, to protect the rudder shaft from galvanic.

Very pretty colors, and likely quite a weight savings. Though they're not likely to suffer much from UV degradation, are you looking forward to checking them for chafe and flex-stress breakage each watch?

The system has no chafe, it has only one sheave on each line to transfer from horizontal push/pull up to the wheel. It's a sheave on a floating line, and it's teflon.

To be honest...I look at it maybe every 6 months or more, and in fact..once you open the door, which we do as we keep fenders there when we sail, you see everything...it's really really strong and easy to replace..I have other things that worry me more...the steering is not..

Besides, it makes steering very very light, responsive and direct.

Is the quadrant collar intentionally split around the rudder stock or has it cracked? What's to keep it from splitting further? I'd have dog-eared those mounting flanges for the steering cables so that, if necessary, the securing bolts could be tightened without removal of the steering cables. Nice piece of work that.
Sway, the tightening bolts rotate freely...You hold them with a screw driver thru the hole and tighten the dyneema with the nut on the other side..can't have any simpler and better..

That split is there on purpose, where that slot ends there is a thrust collar inside, that supports torsional stress caused by the bolt,in fact you could cut the 2 hlaves as they have absolutely no stress or function..

Very pretty. Looks more maintenance friendly that it's metal counterparts. But.. in the unlikely event both helm positions are rendered inoperative where do you stick the e-tiller? And how in the world do you mount an autopilot drive to that thang???
The auto pilot is on the stbd wheel, its an ST wheel pilot..light and simple..these wheels turn in the water, sailing as lightly as a dinghy rudder...really...that was the smaller pilot I could but...don't come any smaller.

Here bellow you can see the wheel pilot on the wheel, and the rudder quadrant acess door/storage/Fred's toy room open..when you open it..there is the quadrant right bellow you, as you see it in the original post photos.

Remember, this is a coastal racer, built just for that, it's not a blue water old shoe, that needs heavy gear and heavy quandrant sterring system, because of the beefed up systems..this whole thing is a trade off in balance..the rudder is also ballanced..

Ask Chuckles how it moves..(VBG)

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
Really nice system, Giu. Thanks for the follow-up explanations.

·
Owner, Green Bay Packers
1,000 Posts
Giu,
I meant the bolts securing the angle brackets to the quadrant...you cannot get your hex head wrench into them without removing the screw-eyed tensioning rods.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Inside the wheel columns there is a sprocket and a motorcycle chain, that attach to the dyneema lines. even if that fails, there is a second channel to rig the system all with dyneema.
Giu - very interesting. One question, how are the dyneema lines spliced to the steering chain in the pedestal?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts