SailNet Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is a post I made on another forum and I thought it might be of interest to some here.

Just FYI—a fairly complete list of commercial windvane manufacturers

Aries — Danish built. Not really suitable for smaller boats, as gear is heavy—35 kg or so. Servo Pendulum design
Beaufort — Very heavy French design for boats over 9m LOA. Servo Pendulum design
Cape Horn — French Canadian built, about $3,500-4,000. Servo Pendulum design
Fleming — Aussie built, Servo Pendulum design
Hydrovane — $4,000–5,000. Built in Vancouver, BC. Aux. Rudder design
Mr. Vane/Mr. Vee — Dutch based relative newcomer, fairly lightweight, has durability issues. Servo Pendulum design
Neptune — British built, Servo Pendulum design
Norvane — So. Calif. based. Fairly economical at $2000 or so. Servo Pendulum design
Sailomat — So. Calif. based. Servo Pendulum design
Scanmar — No. Calif. based mfg. of Monitor, Saye's Rig, and Auto-Helm windvane lines $3,000-5,000
South Atlantic — Argentina-based. about 950 Euros, Servo Pendulum design
Voyager — Made in Ontario, CN. Servo Pendulum design
WindPilot — Fairly light Servo Pendulum design

hope this helps.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Hydrovane is sold from Vancouver BC, but is manufactured in the UK. Price is $6200 cdn. before taxes or delivery.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Correct, it is an Aux. Rudder design... my bad... I've fixed it in the first post.
Thanks for the list. I don't think Hydrovane is a servo-pendulum unit though if I understand the term correctly.

·
1,000 Posts
You forgot the SWAY...it allways points towards the 'winning" wind....especially political winds...wind is his field...

By the way..nice thread and list...

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
I bought a Voyager this year, and the guy who made it installed it. When I get my boat moving again next year, I'll report on it.

It is certainly one of the more beautiful pieces of engineering I've ever seen.

·
Registered
538 Posts
The South Atlantic is made in South America not South Africa ;)
Easy for a multihuller to get confused between the two I guess

·
19,489 Posts
A friend currently cruising the Mexico Pacific coast installed a Hydrovane this summer before departure.. That is one beautifully engineered piece of work!

Apparently it's functioning very well indeed.

·
Bluenoser
192 Posts
Cap(e) Horn Wind Vane

I installed a Cap Horn windvane about 5 years ago. Very elegant, very reliable (and very reasonable price). I highly recommend a visit to their website if you are in the market for a windvane.

I also interfaced an ST-1000 tillerpilot with the windvane for the times I want use self-steering under motor. GPS interface can also be used this way. Best of both worlds with minimal or no electrical demand. Don't know why anyone would want a big electric or hydraulic autopilot in a sailboat...

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Seq-

I know that...the OP was basically swiped from a post I wrote on a forum that specializes in small boat sailors... most being <30' LOA... so the emphasis was on what they would find useful.
WindPilot makes several models, from a light Servo Pendulum design to a robust Servo-Assisted Auxiliary Rudder system.

·
Registered
22 Posts
@sailingdog:
You mention that my systems (Mister Vee) have durability issues. Can you elaborate?

I realise this is an old thread so this may have been dealt with but if this is an issue I have not heard of I'd love the opportunity to improve my systems.

To be clear from my side, I offer 3 years break=replace guarantee and so far only one part has broken that required replacing with a stronger part for the first few Mr. Vane systems.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sven—

That comment was based on issues I had heard about back then. I haven't come back and updated it or done more research to see if those issues have been addressed.

SeaFever—

Scanmar is the manufacturer of the Monitor model.. if you look at the OP, you'll see the Monitor, Saye's Rig and Auto-helm brands listed under Scanmar.

·
Registered
22 Posts
No Problem, I was just curious if it was a clear issue or some kind of hearsay. So I guess it it was something non specific?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts