SailNet Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
An abandoned boat washed up into a canal I live near and a sticker has been put on it threatening that it will be towed in five days, but that was in late october and the boat is still there. The most recent registration sticker on it expired in 05.

The quality of the boat is not the issue of my question. The question is: What is the legality of me hauling this boat off and making it my own?

Is it possible to own a boat without a title?

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
Gj,

As a practical matter it probably isn't worth the trouble project boats like this almost always cost more to fix than it would ever be worth.

As a legal matter... I can't give legal advice on this over an Internet forum. It depends on if the vessel was documented, what state law says on the subject, and where the boat is. Likely at this point it would be owned by the owner of the property it's on, which if it's the state could get even more complicated.

All I can really say is that before taking any action you need to contact a local lawyer who has experience in the maritime field. Expect to pay ~$1,000 to figure something out, plus whatever the process costs.

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,645 Posts
It will depend on your state laws and part of that involves the size. There's always a way to file for the information as to the last registered owner but if that sticker was from 2005 that person may say they sold it, and the new owner (who may be mythological) never registered it. If you file to take possession of titled property it will cost something, and there will be a process you have to follow. You don't need a lawyer, you call the agency that issued the sticker and find out your own state laws and procedures. The downside is that since it is titled property, you can be accused of stealing it, etc., or the last title holder can take it back.

It all depends on the details.

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
In Md it's possible - you go to DNR, fill in forms, wait a lifetime and then get the boat when it's too far gone to fix.

Everyone repeat after me "there is no such thing as a free, or inexpensive, boat"

·
Superior Sailor
1,032 Posts
They are out there....

This may not be one, but they are out there

·
islander bahama 24
1,842 Posts
Here in Washington you contact the dept of lic. and you can get what they call registration in leau of title which gives three years to find former owners and becomes a title at the end of that time. Check with Local LEO first. Also cheap good boats are out there mine cost 300 and I have been living on it for over a year just needed new sink fawcett in galley

1 - 9 of 9 Posts