SailNet Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, has anyone any experience with boats (specifically 34 foot) built by the now closed Able Marine boatbuilders in Maine? Ferenc Mate has a chapter about the company in his book 'Worlds Best Sailboats - Vol 1', and from what I can gather they were phenomenally well built. Anyone have any idea how they have held up through the years and what the sailing characteristics of the 34 are like?

Thanks

·
Registered
37 Posts
Check past issues of Cruising World magazine, within the last year or so.

As I recall, an owner wrote a review in the Classic Plastic column about the Able 32/34.

·
Super Moderator
6,764 Posts
The Able Whistlers are wonderful & beautiful boats. Tom & Cuyler Morris (Morris Yachts) bought Able back around 2001 or so and as far as I know still have the molds and could build a new one if you wish. The 34 was a lengthened 32 with some minor differences. Some had teak decks so you might want to stay away from them or have a very good surveyor. They did not build to many but we have a hand full around here and they are head turners.

Able built a very high quality Maine built boat. One thing about Mount Desert Island is that workers from in and around the area tend to migrate between companies like Lyman Morse, Morris, Hinckley, Ellis etc.etc. so Cro Fox & Able had no shortage of high quality craftsmen. They are right up there in quality with the best of them.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'll go out on a limb and say yes. I haven't drilled many holes in the boat, but what I've seen looks like balsa.

·
Registered
7,220 Posts
Don’t know about the 34 but the the 50 pilothouse is a truly great boat. Solid, fast and sea kindly. If it passed survey would have have no issues with this brand. Put them up with Hinckley, Morris and LM.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts