SailNet Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone!

Well here I am. I have become interested in sailing and I have a bunch of questions I want to ask.

A quick introduction. I am a Canadian teacher who is working in China. This leads to my first question. Can someone learn to sail in China and where can one go sailing here? I live in Dalian which is right on the Bohai Sea so I am hoping to find a place where I can learn to sail. Trying to find any information in China on just about anything can be a frustrating experience so if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated.

At present, I have very little money so my dreams of sailing may have to be put on hold for a bit. Has anyone here come from meager circumstance and ended up owning a boat?

I have this dream of sailing across the Pacific but being older and having only one day of experience this seems a tad ambitious. Of course, who knows what can occur in a few years. What factor does age play in learning to sail? I am strong and fit, and can say proudly that I learned to fly when I was 50. I am now 55.

I am sure my questions show what an absolute neophyte I am.

Hope to hear from you all.

·
1,000 Posts
Ahhhh

I don't really know where to start....

Looks like you have everything going for you:

1) In China
2) Canadian
3) broke
4) old
5) dreamer

Try macrame......:laugher :laugher :laugher :laugher :D :D :D :D

·
Courtney the Dancer
3,970 Posts
Welcome to Sailnet, wouldn't surprise me if someone here knows where you can learn to sail over there. I'd start with a Google search. Age isn't as much of a problem as general health and condition (at least that's what I keep telling myself now that I'm over 55). Congrats on your pilot license!

Good luck, John

·
moderate?
1,000 Posts
Welcome...can't help ya on China...but you can easily learn at ANY age as long as you are healthy. The Chinese had a sailing venue and participated in the summer Olympics so there MUST be some sailing programs around.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Also.. no China information for you.. But welcome!

David

1 - 6 of 6 Posts