SailNet Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone, first of all i'd like to apologize for my almost absolute lack of knowledge in the matter, i'm not a sailor, i'm a flyer.

But my dad is and he recently retired and I want to give him a cat for christmas, i've been looking around and so far i've kind of narrowed it down to the Helia 44, and the leopard 44. They fit the budget, look really good and have amazing reviews, but as i said before i'm completely ignorant on this subject, and would greatly appreciate some help, about these or any other cats you might think i should consider

I could always ask him (my dad) but I want it to be a surprise.

Thanks again for helping me... :D

·
Registered
290 Posts
Nice to have so much money for a christmas present!
Please tell us more about him! His experience is important and if he will sail
alone or with experienced crew.

·
Registered
2 Posts
In my mind this is a cool idea, with the consideration of experience included. A 44 cat is a biiig boat.

If he has a lot of experience with sailing cats he's likely to be quite picky about what sort of cat he wants, and you should probably ask him about it. If he has boating experience and some experience with cats - doesn't need to be much as long as there are others to help out in the beginning - then I believe he'll be happy with basically any good looking cat. I sure would!

So it would be up to you if you think that performance or comfort is most important, probably the latter, which you can learn from reviews.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
That would be a hell of a gift. He must not be sailing a boat that big currently because you don't gift someone a boat smaller then they currently have. does it come with a maintenance crew, a place to store it? in some areas moorings or slips for a big cat are very hard to find and you must have thought about the cost for this.

·
Aspiring to be a Mexican
543 Posts
I would think that a card with a voucher for a catamaran of his choice would work better, everything about boats is so subjective.
For instance, I would chose a Privilege over those two simply because I love all the wood inside (relative) and I love the nav station. It may be an inferior boat, not sure, but I wouldn't ever buy a Leopard because they're so damned ugly IMO. I'm not saying that I make sense, I'm just saying that that's what I would do.

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
Having owned a cat, and sailed cat's up to 44 feet - this isn't something you buy someone without a lot of canvassing first - sticking someone with a couple hundred grand worth of boat if it's not what they want is an expensive way to go.

Having said all that - Voyage 44's. Nothing beats them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts