SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 16000 btu cruise air kicks out the breaker when I try to start it. Breaker is new, water pump is fine,( I would imagine it would not make a difference as it has to start before it would call for water?), worked fine till Saturday , any ideas?

·
Registered
24,188 Posts
The water pump should come on first, then the compressor. If it had been working fine before, I’d suspect corrosion on a power wire somewhere, which is creating too much resistance. Some units have soft start capabilities, to avoid the big power spike on start-up. If yours has one, it may have failed.

·
Registered
3,542 Posts
My 16000 btu cruise air kicks out the breaker when I try to start it. Breaker is new, water pump is fine,( I would imagine it would not make a difference as it has to start before it would call for water?), worked fine till Saturday , any ideas?
When I turned on my AC, it would start and run for 20 seconds or so, and then trip the breaker. I finally learned that the cause was that, while the boat was on the hard, mud wasps clogged the water outflow. I jumped in the water and pushed a wire cable through it, which broke up the clog, and the AC ran fine. Check to be sure your through hull valve is open and that neither the intake nor the outflow is clogged.

Another possibility is that your system might have a filter to strain debris out of the water. That filter might be clogged and need cleaning.

·
Registered
24,188 Posts
Clogged or closed raw water circuit would typically cause a High Pressure Fault and shut the unit down, for safety, but would not typically trip a breaker. That mistake or failure happens all the time.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Could try another breaker. Just because it is new doesn't mean it ain't broke. Is this a GFI breaker?

·
bell ringer
5,258 Posts
On my units a water problem wouldn't trip a breaker, it would just shutdown the unit on high head pressure.

Only thing that should trip a breaker is current. I assume it is starting. If so it is a slow current trip so check the voltage and be sure the shore power cable and plugs are good.

what size breaker is it?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok so we have juice on the orange wire all the way to the compressor, cannot tel voltage as it trips out too fast. I am thinking…
1-bad compressor
2- bad capacitor ( even though it shows power going thru it)
3- bad sort start solo pod?

·
bell ringer
5,258 Posts
So it trips on startup?????? It only would take a little voltage loss to result in enough current to trip a breaker maybe. What is voltage coming into boat?

A hard start capacitor is only around $15 and is much better "kick" than the ones that come on the units.

·
One of None
8,210 Posts
Ok so we have juice on the orange wire all the way to the compressor, cannot tel voltage as it trips out too fast. I am thinking…
1-bad compressor
2- bad capacitor ( even though it shows power going thru it)
3- bad sort start solo pod?
There a a number of HVAC pro persons on the site. here I'm but one...

with much much more information (name and mod#) and photos we can probably walk you through it.
Tripping breakers almost always sends a tech go right to the compressor to "Ohm it out"

if you don't know electric, don't try to DIY it is possible to short out a compressor that "was" good.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There a a number of HVAC pro persons on the site. here I'm but one...

with much much more information (name and mod#) and photos we can probably walk you through it.
Tripping breakers almost always sends a tech go right to the compressor to "Ohm it out"

if you don't know electric, don't try to DIY it is possible to short out a compressor that "was" good.
Trips as soon as I put the power to it so could not get the power to it. I swapped out the shore power plugs and different pedestals tgat I know my dock mates boat has no issue with and no change
On my units a water problem wouldn't trip a breaker, it would just shutdown the unit on high head pressure.

Only thing that should trip a breaker is current. I assume it is starting. If so it is a slow current trip so check the voltage and be sure the shore power cable and plugs are good.

what size breaker is it?
30 amp. And shore cables are new

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So it trips on startup?????? It only would take a little voltage loss to result in enough current to trip a breaker maybe. What is voltage coming into boat?

A hard start capacitor is only around $15 and is much better "kick" than the ones that come on the units.
Where can I buy one?

·
bell ringer
5,258 Posts
I got mine from Grainger

·
One of None
8,210 Posts
Typical... Somebody needs help but doesn't provide any additional
Start with the big items first! working your way back to the small, check compressor if you don't know how, find somebody that does

small units don't always have capacitors but many do.
there are three terminals on a compressor start, run, and common, start will actually start the motor turning via capacitor, relay or capacitor relay, I suggest nobody mess around unless they know what they're doing, trying to jump the start winding will most likely get you a burned out compressor don't even try.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
If it trips the breaker instantly then the most likely candidate is a dead short to ground or a short across compressor windings.

My first step would be a visual inspection of all wiring looking for obvious things like burnt wiring. Next I would pull out my multimeter and test all wires to ground, and check the ohms across compressor terminals and compressor terminals to ground.

If you don't have a multimeter...buy one!

It's highly unlikely the new breaker is faulty.

If the start capacitor was bad the breaker wouldn't trip instantly, the compressor would draw high amps for a few seconds first.

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Typical... Somebody needs help but doesn't provide any additional
Start with the big items first! working your way back to the small, check compressor if you don't know how, find somebody that does

small units don't always have capacitors but many do.
there are three terminals on a compressor start, run, and common, start will actually start the motor turning via capacitor, relay or capacitor relay, I suggest nobody mess around unless they know what they're doing, trying to jump the start winding will most likely get you a burned out compressor don't even try. View attachment 139912
We omed the compressor. It is shorted, so we now know it has had its day. Time to either swap out compressor or buy new unit

1 - 20 of 24 Posts