SailNet Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
AC Wire Size

I am redoing my boat wiring, and I'm a bit confused. It's a 30amp system with 2 circuits that have 15Amp GFCI terminals on them

The AC wiring is all done with proper 3 connector boat cable, but the cabling to the GFCIs is AWG14. The marine electrician I had to look over the system and come up with a plan with me didn't mention it as an issue, but I've had a couple of other people mention that I should take it out and replace with AWG12.

Searching on the internet has not been conclusion, opinions?

·
Sailor
935 Posts
You are fine. AWG 14 = 15 amp, AWG 12 = 20 amp. In my house I used AWG 12 for both 15 amp circuits in new addition but that was overkill. I wouldn't change out existing wiring.

Tod

·
Super Moderator
6,819 Posts
Re: AC Wire Size

I am redoing my boat wiring, and I'm a bit confused. It's a 30amp system with 2 circuits that have 15Amp GFCI terminals on them

The AC wiring is all done with proper 3 connector boat cable, but the cabling to the GFCIs is AWG14. The marine electrician I had to look over the system and come up with a plan with me didn't mention it as an issue, but I've had a couple of other people mention that I should take it out and replace with AWG12.

Searching on the internet has not been conclusion, opinions?
30A inlet to AC main double pole 30A breaker = 10GA
15A branch breaker to 15A rated outlets = 14GA
20A branch breaker to 20A rated outlets = 12 GA

1 - 4 of 4 Posts