SailNet Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased my first sailboat (1992 Hunter Vision 32) and bought my first insurance policy through a broker who specializes in marine insurance. I have a "Yachtsman" policy from ACE Insurance. I've never heard of them and was wondering if anyone has any experience, positive or negative, to share. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
330 Posts
My policy on my 1980 Pearson 35 is through ACE. No claims to date. I've had the policy since 2002. Very little premium inflation until last year when it went up 25% and then another 13% this year. I'm told most insurance companies that were impacted by Hurricane Sandy had significant premium increases over this time frame. My boat has a required haul out from Nov 1 - May 1 and with primary sailing grounds of Nantucket Sound. The policy for 2015 is going to be $1,712.

·
Registered
272 Posts
You guys on the east coast really get hammered on insurance. Here on Lake Michigan for my 85 H-34 I am paying less that $400 through American Family. They tend to avoid Hurricane areas. I did have an accident a couple of years ago and they were great.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I had a claim with ACE about 2.5 years ago as I ran aground hard and ripped the rudder away from the hull. Ace paid around 8k for the work at a marina, my premiums did not increase that year and small increases since. 2014 premium on Chesapeake Bay only, winterization in or out of the water 12/1-4/1, was $674 this year for a 1979 Bristol 35.5. Own boat 5 years.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.