SailNet Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please give me your thoughts. Achilles 12foot End of season price drop.

I am particularly interested in hearing about the life span of this 2000 model, how it would tow as a dinghy, and any other buyer-beware insights.

I would probably put a 15-25 hp motor on it and use it not only as a dinghy, but as a way to explore around with my son while Mom does her thing relaxing on board the boat.

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
yay...I had a blue one...it does look uv degraded...check stitching...condition of fabric of you can see fabric a lot(the actual insides of the rubber) then really take him down on price...if not then there are others out there...

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
What sort of boat will you be using it with?

12' makes for a HUGE tender, especially for a family of 3, seems to me... And, if you're towing it everywhere, you absolutely WILL wind up doing less sailing, no doubt about it...

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
We have an 11'6" Achilles rigid hull with a 20hp Tohatsu. It hits 25 mph with 2 of us on board, and gets on plane with 5 or 6 of us on board. We explored Martha Vinyard easily without slowly plodding along. Great boats. We do have a later, hypalon model that we got for $2,250 from Defender. (We went by boat. At the store, I called out to the checkout line "Anyone have a pickup and want to make 50 bucks getting our purchase 2 miles down the road." Then we paid another guy 20 bucks to remove all the cardboard at the shore.)

Best thing? With all that performance, it's still light enough that I can pull it up on the beach by myself.

Not sure that helps with your purchase/negotiating decisions. If it looks to be in good shape, it's great to have such a high performance dinghy.

Edit: I agree with John. We have a family of 6 and need to bigger dinghy than most cruisers. Smaller means easier to handle.

Regards,
Brad

·
Master Mariner
8,665 Posts
The AB aluminum bottom inflatables seem to have taken over the market, down here in the Caribbean. Specifically, I don't know the model/year of the Achilles inflatables on the dinghy docks, but most seem to not hold air well. Nobody appears to be replacing old Achilles dinks with new Achilles ones.
This is another place where it seems you get what you pay for. Our Zodiac Classic Mark 1 is going on 7 years old, has no leaks (never has) and as we live aboard and anchor out 340+ days a year, it gets a whole lot of use.

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
yay...I had a blue one...it does look uv degraded...check stitching...condition of fabric of you can see fabric a lot(the actual insides of the rubber) then really take him down on price...if not then there are others out there...
Stitching?!?!?:eek:

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
yes stitching...older ones indeed had stitching in certain areas that are reinforced...they are also presed glued and melted in areas etc...

mine was an older one so forget I even said anything i guess

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think we're going to pass anyway. We probably would have used it mostly from the mooring at the marina and left it at the dinghy dock while opting for the smaller hard dinghy on weekend excursions. But, I guess I don't need another toy to maintain right now....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts