SailNet Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently has my boat hauled for some routine maintenance and the boat yard service guys recommended that I have the hull acid washed and then sealed with Awlcare.

My boat is mostly Awlgrip (no gel coat) with Awlcraft stripes.

I thought acids were a major NO NO with awlgrip.

I don't have significant stains but there is some scum build up at the waterline.

The yard wants a couple hundred bucks to do it.

What do you guys recommend???

·
Super Moderator
6,753 Posts
NO !!!!!!

If you MUST use an acid to get rid of tannin stains work it a small section at a time, with HOSE in hand. The second the stain is gone thoroughly rinse the acid. Use a MILD acid like Davis FSR and do a 2' section max at a time then rinse. NEVER let the acid dry on the hull and do it out of direct sun on a shady day or in the evening after the sun has gone down.. Awlgrip and Awlcraft can be permanently etched by acids so don't let the yard monkeys at it..

I would NEVER trust a yard monkey, with an acid, on a $10,000 paint job.:eek: This is NOT a job you need to pay someone to do....

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I thought.

My thinking is a good powerwash and then a follow up HAND applied Awlcare application. They were talking acidwash and then BUFFER applied awlcare. I didn't thiink that sounded right.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts