SailNet Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to everybody!!!

I need to change the acrilics for my hatches but I don't know where to buy them.

Anybody could help me?

Thank you

Paola:confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
Paolaa,

If it's just the lens material you need to replace, you should be able to get it from your local glass shop (the same one that doe auto windows, etc). Most of them will cut either Lexan (polycarbonate) or acrylic to whatever size/shape you need.

·
19,489 Posts
These guys rebuild hatches complete with warranty:

Hatchmasters

I need to do the same but so far have not had much luck with gluing/sealing new lenses into the existing frames. The company in the link will do it, but they do need the entire hatch sent to them (top and bottom sections). I'm not quite ready to go that route yet.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I bought 2 full sheets of dark gray acrylic one is 3/8" the other is 1/2" What size do you need? I will only be using about 1/2 of each.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
It would help if you said what hatches you had. If they're flat, you can usually get the glazing material, either acrylic (plexiglas) or polycarbonate (lexan) at a local glass shop or sign supplier. If the hatch surface is curved, then you may need to get the glazing custom bent to fit it.

Polycarbonate is stronger, but less scratch and UV tolerant. Acrylic is usually less expensive, not as strong but more scratch and UV tolerant. If you want the additional strength of polycarbonate, get MR10 grade polycarbonate, which has anti-scratch and uv-resistant coatings on both sides.

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,645 Posts
Beware of just using a local glazier and generic glazing. There are many different materials, and you'll need one that is UV-resistant and scratch-resistant on a boat. Which usually makes it too expensive for a local "glass" shop to have in stock.

·
ASA and PSIA Instructor
4,100 Posts

Hatchmasters

I need to do the same but so far have not had much luck with gluing/sealing new lenses into the existing frames. The company in the link will do it, but they do need the entire hatch sent to them (top and bottom sections). I'm not quite ready to go that route yet.
The trick I found for getting a good seal when bedding a new lens into an existing frame using silicone sealant, was to carefully clean the frame and to treat the lens with a primer.

I got my silicone and primer as a kit from the lens reseller, the primer came with two page sof EPA warnings...if you look around you should be able to find the same. Here is a link which may help:
http://www.pecora.com/downloads/mastercaulk/The_Master_Caulksmith-Lexan_and_Plexiglass.pdf and also provides some interesting info about lexan and acrylic choices.

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
I just called Hatchmasters. They want $329 plus return shipping for a 20x20 hatch. That's for new plastic and seal.

You do NOT have to send the bottom frame of the hatch, only the hatch itself, with the handles left on.

I talked with Mark, sho was very helpful. We have 2 leaky hatches (leaky from the seal around the glass, not the metal-to-metal part). Since I don't need new lenses, only resealing, I might be able to use a new gasket (if they are Lewmars' Trimline or Coastline series hatches. Otherewise, the gasket is integral with the lens.

So he's willing to send me a gasket (and I'll need to clean all the old glue off carefully), or I have to send him the hatch top. Once I figure out which hatch series I have, I'll know more.

BTW, I'm not sure I want to drop $800 or more after tax on this. Would love to have another option. Looks like the PO tried using some black silicone or something to make the problem go away, but that isn't working, at least not now. I may have to bite the bullet and spend the $800.

Hatchmasters

Reactions: Faster

·
19,489 Posts
SF - thanks much for that, will investigate further

Bene - That's odd... I was told by Tony somebody that we did have to send both halves, and when I sent a note asking if I could only send the tops I have not heard back. I'll try again.

Thanks to you both!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts