SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
GreatKetch33
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Mates,

I am planning to replace the lens on the aft deck hatch. The boat is a Herreshoff Cat Ketch design, the new lens would need to measure 25 x 25 inches and 1/2 inch thick, which sits on top of a teak frame.

Because the measurements is more than 24 inches, finding a source to provide a precut smoke (dark gray color lens) is a challenge for the following reasons:

1) most places will sell 48 inches because 25 falls between 24 and 48 inches, hard to get 25 inch only.
2) shipping large 48 inch cuts is costly per shipping charges, buyer cuts.
3) 1/2 inch thick is hard to find - in my opinion

Does anyone know of a source that they have found pleasant, would recommend?

This is my first project regarding acrylic lens replacement. Any advice, and recommendation is appreciated.

Thank you

·
GreatKetch33
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am located in Central New York, and although it is winter here and no time to sail, the lens work for the hatch is a perfect project for these winter months.

Thank you,

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
lens would need to measure 25 x 25 inches and 1/2 inch thick,
ouch!!

interstate plastic dot com

Might want to look into Polycarb AR2 sheets, but still...........ouch!!

·
GreatKetch33
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
update:

Waiting to hear from Tony at Select Plastics.

Company I called, located in western US, said it was too expensive to ship, and the cost of the panel was expensive. They suggested I contact distributor in NY area; to reduce the cost of shipping. I found a place that had a sheet in stock 96" x 48" dark gray, only $650 and $50 to cut, and no shipping charge.

I am waiting to hear from Tony at Select Plastics.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I am in Pennsylvania and I deal with a lot of plastics. One company I use is IPF, they stock and cut plastic and are very nice people. I would give them a shot 610-524-7090. I have already talked to them about getting the right plastics to redo my cabin windows. Best of luck.

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,645 Posts
Deric, there are many grades of acrylic. While this will only make it more difficult and more expensive, do check into the grade you are buying. Something that is UV-resistant and scratch-resistant will cost more than plain "cosmetic" grade acrylic, which is best left indoors and used for restuarant partitions and the like.

Once you get more complicated than 1/4" plexi, many shops only want to sell you the full sheet, four feet by eight feet, or charge you for the sheet and keep the "scrap" even if that's 60% of the sheet.

You just have to call around. Or perhaps, but it clear (more commonly stocked) and let an auto window tinting place put a good 3M neutral gray tint on the interior side before you install it. Maybe $25 for that.

·
Registered
7,855 Posts
I would stick with Select Plastics - they know what it will be used for and are experts in hatch refurbishment.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Any way to put two quarter inch pieces together or construct something with a wood frame and crossmembers to get the structural strength you need? Quarter inch is easy to find.

·
Registered
7,855 Posts
For one it would not be near as strong and there would be moisture build up between the layers after a while.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Not sure where you are in central NY, can also try plastics manufacturer, plastics fabricator, Canadian, general plastics, advanced plastics, industrial plastics, building products in Hamilton, ON if it is not too far. They do lots of marine, motorcycle, commercial. We took two Atkins & Hoyle hatch lenses to them this year - they calculated material & labor while we were there. Great results, price was reasonable and we didn't get stuck dealing with the left over sheet that we probably would never need in the near future. We don't have a garage, shed or shop so it was convenient too. Good luck with winter project.

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,194 Posts
I bought some 0.480" Acrylite® FF in Bronze from this place;
JMK Displays Inc.
1237 Broadway
Darien Ctr. NY 14040
585-547-9843

They specialize in making displays for stores & trade shows.

I cut it down to make 3 piece hatch boards.

I am not associated with the manufacturer of Acrylite®, it's distributors, nor am I affiliated in any way with JMK displays.

·
Hinterhoeller HR28
163 Posts
Great Lakes Plastics is right in Buffalo, NY and they do all sorts of acrylic, polycarbonate, and nylon, in sheet goods, rod, etc. They will custom cut for you, even curves and drilling if needed, and you can pick it up by car.

·
GreatKetch33
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hello Mates.

I visited Great Lakes Plastics located 2.5 hours driving by car from my marina. While I was onsite, they took measurements of old pieces I had, showed me the color tint of gray they had to offer, and performed the cutting to exact measurements. I had them cut two pieces: one for the aft hatch, and one for the companion way sliding hatch.

Great Lakes Plastics serve many boaters in the are by providing them materials.

The person who helped me, Rick, was pleasant. I was happy with their service and price.

Thank you for submitting recommendations of businesses to consider. I have compiled a list for myself future reference.

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
update:

Waiting to hear from Tony at Select Plastics.

Company I called, located in western US, said it was too expensive to ship, and the cost of the panel was expensive. They suggested I contact distributor in NY area; to reduce the cost of shipping. I found a place that had a sheet in stock 96" x 48" dark gray, only $650 and $50 to cut, and no shipping charge.

I am waiting to hear from Tony at Select Plastics.
Deric,

I am also replacing hatch lenses this winter. Our forward hatch is also huge. and I need another in addition to that one Perhaps we can team-up in some way to cut down on scrap or shipping. (I'm on Long Island and pass through Albany occasionally.)

IIRC, HugoSalt recommended select plastics to me.

Regards,
Brad

1 - 20 of 22 Posts