SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here goes... we've all had our say on the $500 and $3000 threads and we all have our opinions... we each believe we know the costs of cruising or voyaging or keeping at a marina or on the hook. This thread is to see what each owner actually spends on a boat now and not what they'll spend once they get to the other slip/marina/anchorage, etc.

I'll start...

My boat is slipped in Everett, it is 25 feet in length and currently in a 28' slip, and it costs me to date:

$205 a month + $15-20 for electrical all billed every two months or $460 average.
$365 a year for insurance (liability/comprehensive).
$150 tax and registration average 2012-2013
$50-75 week groceries
$15-20 - gasoline for the outboard (4 gallon tank)
$55 a night at the Rosario in the San Juans (slip fee) example costs
$20-35 meals (lunch and dinner for 1 person)

I'm not going to count the cost to reupholster the cabin or any other items bought as they just factor into the cost of upkeep and those I figure as capital expenses same as buying the boat (mine is debt free), but financing a boat this must be factored in the above breakdown as they are weekly/monthly costs to keep the boat.

I do not know at this point how much it will cost me in the future as the boat I plan to have will be 32-35 feet so the cost will be higher to maintain and cruise but it will be a newer boat so the costs to maintain should be much less.

That's my reality... what is yours... maybe someone asking questions on new boat ownership will review this as a summary of the real costs instead of guessing.

·
Registered
678 Posts
I have a feeling that this will be a really good thread. Having made a living in the financial sector for many years I love stuff like this but also have to say that I have not once considered money to be a factor in life or living. I set budgets but If I have to go over it oh well that's life. All I can do is give you a lump sum of 12k a year, where it all goes I couldn't say :)

The Dalai Lama, when asked what surprised him most about humanity, answered "Man.... Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."

·
islander bahama 24
1,842 Posts
Here goes
1) 217 moorage including leasehold taxes and power 24 ft boat.
2) 187 food money some months I don't need it all so I buy stockpiles
3) 30 prepaid cellphone
4) 10 fuel for the outboard
5) 20 eating out
6) 20 orca card pays for regional public transport
7) 30.25 tabs for 13/14 year in Washington all boat licenses expire end of June
8) 100 a year 500k liability insurance
Total 498 a month average

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok... I was thinking more of the costs of 'boating' and or 'voyaging' and less about the medical insurance, cellphones, car rentals, etc since those are all costs we have regardless if we have a boat or not... see I was hoping for only the costs of owning/cruising without those other costs as there are too many variables in those areas... some could have $8000 healthcare costs a year while others are on Medicare, or employer plans, etc. so this is not what I'm factoring in boat ownership/cruising.

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
So here goes... we've all had our say on the $500 and $3000 threads and we all have our opinions... we each believe we know the costs of cruising or voyaging or keeping at a marina or on the hook. This thread is to see what each owner actually spends on a boat now and not what they'll spend once they get to the other slip/marina/anchorage, etc.
So, then... this will be a thread about the '"actual costs" of cruising/boat ownership, but not counting those costs associated with actually sailing it, or going anyplace with it?

Gee, that's gonna be useful... :)

·
Superior Sailor
1,032 Posts
My costs for boat ownership/crusing (if you want to call it that} are pretty low for the season and we have a pretty short season to begin with

I have a fair sized boat (27') and while too big to be considered a "trailer sailor" it is "transportable. I bring it home and store it in my barn, so...

Winter Storage Fees $0

I'll tow it to the lake and need to get the mast stepped

Step Mast $100

With the mast up, Ileave it on the trailer and launch on the weekends

Dry Slip $80/mo (June thr Sept. $320)
Seasonal Ramp Pass $30
Liabilty Ins for Marina $ 64 yr

I come up every Friday, launch and stay on the boat till Sunday or occasional Monday. I "cruise" the Apostal Islands in lake Superior and have for the last two years...There are 22 Islands, I have "seen" only 20 of them and only landed/walked on 13 of them so far...so I'll be "crusing" and exploring the area for a few more years. We anchor out and row dingy in to shore.

Anchor out $0

I don't smoke or drink, but love to eat well (steak and lobster on the grill) fish we catch local smoked fis and cheese we buy, basic staples for being comfortably fed

Grocery Bill $50 week $200 month

I have a 4 stroke outboard on the boat and do use it for trolling/fishing, row dingy

Fuel costs $12-$15 week $60/month

I only have a 13 gallon holding tank so pump every week

Pumpout $5 week $20/month

Only thing left is pulling Keel Stepped mast in fall

Pull Mast $75

Oh, and I bought the boat off E-Bay for $760...it was in the water and ready to sail when I got there...

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
So, then... this will be a thread about the '"actual costs" of cruising/boat ownership, but not counting those costs associated with actually sailing it, or going anyplace with it?

I think you have it wrong... of course you can add the cost of cruising and sailing it as I have... what I don't think should be added are the other costs I mention since it has nothing to do with sailing the boat... whether you have medical insurance or not does not determine the 'actual cruising costs'... that is why it is so hard to come to terms in the other two threads.

I understand new sails, outboard, engine repairs all take their tolls on the expenses but I'm not referring to those... only the actual cost of sailing the boat/keeping the boat in the slip/paid moorage, going to restaurants, bars, etc.

Maybe I'm not expressing right... in my list I do not include medical insurance, car payments, house payments, child care payments, cellphone, etc.(car rental yes for a day or two while in a new port) as none of those have no actual result in sailing/cruising your boat.

Excellent... Squidd you got it right... that's what I wanted to see.

·
Registered
16 Posts

You are correct, this explanation is very useful
Thank you to the author :)

·
Sailboat Reboot
652 Posts
Rather than repeat it all again go to Sailing - Reboot (USA 60493): Cruising Budget - How Much Does it Cost?.

My simple answer is about $2500 per month, however:
1. My cruising grounds are extensive.
2. I put a lot of wear on Reboot - about 5,000 to 7,000 NM per year
3. I go places where the clearance fees are high: Bermuda ($350); Mexico ($400); Belize ($350); Guatemala ($400) Portugal ($250) and low (St. Maarten $7, Canary Islands - free)
4. I anchor out a lot - this puts me at risk of dragging (one $2,000 repair to show for it)
5. I transit a lot - this puts me a risk of sail/boat damage (two $700 repairs, $7.000 new sails)
6. I have a lot of equipment to keep me alive - it costs a lot to maintain e.g. $1,500 5 year life raft re-certification.

What are the budget busters? I have learned to budget for the unexpected - at least the expected unexpected. The things that tend to bust my budget are:
1. Eating out
2. Meeting women (sorry, but that is the truth.)

Fair winds and following seas.

·
Registered
712 Posts
One jovial answer:

Q. How much is it going to cost?
A. How much do you have?

One serious answer:

I don't want to know.
After we bought our boat, the wife sort of asked a question like this. That was my answer to her. We've got the funds, I don't add up the costs, I don't keep track. Don't want to know. ;)

·
cruising all I can
917 Posts
the last year in upstate NY.marina slip for season live aboard w/power, water, etc. $1000.00 included haul /launch.
last year 2013 slip in Chesapeake for 12 months, live aboard $900.00
Second slip in Chesapeake 2013-2014 ,no power or water $400.00
Insurance - $0.00
fuel -not enough to mention.
bought used mainsail $75.00
biggest expense maintenance last year was 150' of 3/8" bbb anchor chain when I finally mounted the wyndlas I've had lying around a Guy gave me,he didn't like it.
this spring the major expense will be abrasive for the bottom job, probably $50-100.00 already have the paint.
Also maybe a few new haylards,old one's are 07'.
on the hard $75.00 a month starting in April.
pretty "affordable " considering I only paid $2000.00 for the boat and have been sailing it from Tampa to lake Ontario and back every other year sometimes every year since 07'
I think I can even save a little more if I'm careful.

·
Old soul
4,917 Posts
Here's some numbers for us. We (wife and I) cruise seasonally, mostly on Lake Superior. We tend to take one big trip each year (four to eight weeks), plus a few weekends here and there. So we are not full-timers right now, although we are making the move this summer.

Our boat is a 37-foot cutter (Rafiki-37). Our boating season runs from May to October (although we usually splash down in June and pull end of September) Prices are in Canadian dollars, which is currently about 90 cents US ($1CND = $0.90US). These costs are from memory, hence the "~".

Personal dock (incl. electricity and water): ~$300/season
Winter storage: ~$250/season
Haul/Launch: ~$100
Insurance: ~$550/year (agreed value and liability)
Diesel: maybe ~$50/season (only fill at haul for winter storage)
Propane: $20/season (again, don't fill each year)
Food while underway: ~$100/person/week (about what we spend onshore)
Booze: ~$50/person/week.
Boat maintenance: hard to say b/c we're upgrading our vessel for departure. I'd say about $400 per season

Essentially no marina costs b/c we always anchor out (might go to a dock every second year).
No eating out costs for the same reason.
No touristy costs b/c, well, there's no place to spend money like that up here.

This works out to about $700/month for the 6 months of possible usage, or $350/month if annualized. Of course if you only consider our prime sailing times (say 2 months) then we're paying about $2000/month :eek:.

We are spending a lot more on our boat these days as we upgrade her our extend journey to come. I'd say we've spend at least $5000/season for the past four years on those.

BTW, just wanted to say Hi to Squidd. The Apostles are nice, but you should point your bow north one of these years. Or you could trailer your boat up here. You'd love it up here on the north shore of Lake Superior.

·
bell ringer
5,029 Posts
just for my boat last year, that doesn't count any living expenses:

Operation & general - $1629.51 (insurance, permit, fuel)
Maintenance & repair - $1978.55 (only work not by myself as a $200 sail repair)
storage & marina - $5145.85 (winter haul out and storage, summer mooring, a few transit moorings)
boat upgrades - $1871.53 (almost all of it being a solar system)

total - $10,217.47
2012 total was - $11,039.47
2011 total was - $12,761.35

·
Superior Sailor
1,032 Posts
Hey back at you Mike...

Superor is a big lake, and I do plan on (eventuall) seeing more of it including a trip to Canadian shores...

First big trip for me (week or more) will be out to Isle Royal and back..maybe this year....

After that who knows..

I sometimes think about trailering over to the Mississippi drpping in and heading to the Gulf...(usually think about it when it gets -20 or more below)

·
Registered
100 Posts
OK I'm a trailer sailer so I'm on the low end of the scale. I keep my boat at a little marina on the trailer with the mast up so it's only minutes to Galveston Bay. So last year I spent -

Marina = $80 per month $960 per year.
Insurance = $200 per year.
Fuel = $40 per year.
Food for ourselves and guests while on the boat = $300 or so per year.
Boating events, entries, etc. = $150 per year.
New Bimini = $700.
New VHF = $150.
New Main Sail Cover = $150.
New hatch boards (Made myself) $40.
Roller furling jib UV cover repair $70.
Repair of bow eye damage = $60.
Texas State Registration $64.

Total for the year = $2884

Monthly avg. = about $240

Not too bad considering!

Kevin

'Course that's for just one boat, I have a fleet of 4 small trailer boats in the 19' to 16' range but I don't use them as much and keep them at home and don't need insurance on 'em so much cheaper.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
After we bought our boat, the wife sort of asked a question like this. That was my answer to her. We've got the funds, I don't add up the costs, I don't keep track. Don't want to know. ;)
So as I understand it you would be on the 'No Budget Plan'... ;)

·
69' Coronado 25
323 Posts
I am still in the process of "cleaning up" a fixer upper so I won't add in those costs here, I will disclose what the yearly cost of owning and estimated use costs. $2700 marina, $135 insurance, I spend weekends on the boat so I bring food drinks and ice each weekend and the cost will depend on whether or not the wife and or kid come down $20 to $60. When the boat is ready I'll be doing weekends on the hook and maybe a dinner out now and then and the fuel cost is so hard to estimate because we sail as much as possible But I'll add in a two tanks a month. I estimate around $5000 a year and thats for 52 weekends a year. The cost goes down if we don't go the the boat or go sailing. The benefits of living in So Cal...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts