SailNet Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I am looking for people who have had experience with using Globalstar in the Caribbean.

If you have, I'd be interested where you have used it, what has the voice quality been like, and how much have you used data features for email, etc.

·
Old as Dirt!
3,482 Posts
Hi

I am looking for people who have had experience with using Globalstar in the Caribbean.

If you have, I'd be interested where you have used it, what has the voice quality been like, and how much have you used data features for email, etc.
Friends of ours that have been cruising the Caribbean for the last 3 years aboard a sister-ship to ours, s/v Ocean Angel, rely upon their GlobalStar phone and seem to have had reasonably good luck/service with a fixed mount installation. They use it for downloading weather data and GRIB files and for sending short emails from time to time. Call quality is about like a cell phone but with somewhat of a time delay considering the distance covered by the signal.

We were going to replace our phone with an Iridium before leaving for the Bahamas but on the strength of their experience have decided to stay with GlobalStar, especially so now that they have a larger satellite constellation.

More on Ocean Angel

FWIW...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts