SailNet Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody up to date information about the actual clearance of the I-75 and Edison Twin bridges in Fort Myers?

In August 2013 we barely made it underneath these bridges (52feet mast), the sign board read 53feet. (They are listed with 55f, but two are only 54.8f to start with -see Bridge Statistics for Fort Myers, Florida (FL) - Condition, Traffic, Stress, Structural Evaluation, Project Costs).

In two weeks we have pass these bridges again and as far as I know the water level is higher than in August 2013. We also "gained" some inches because we unloaded the boat.... I'm really concerned even traveling at low tide....

Any information about the actual clearance would help!!!!

·
Registered
322 Posts
We went through about two years ago, 52.5' mast. On the way east our antenna dragged on the bridge. On the way west it cleared. If I remember correctly on the way back it showed 56'.
Why would the water be higher this year? There's no locks controlling water height just wind and tide. I would recommend going through on a low tide.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your response. Glad to hear that only your antenna hit the bridge.

The river fills up after heavy rain and runs down to Fort Myers. Also the "drain" more water from Lake Okeechobee after heavy rain.
The water level for today for Fort Myers is for example higher than predicted. It rained like crazy for the last three days.

For this reason we could predict the the actual clearance only a day or two in advance...but if we know actual clearance of today/this week, than we can gamble and guess a little....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.