SailNet Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been wondering what affects added weight (toasters, coffee pots, TVS, etc.) Have on the performance of a displacement sailing vessel. Common since tells me less weight more speed. However; more weight seems like it could increase waterline length increasing speed. Surely acceleration is at least hurt by added weight, but can it make a boats hull speed increase? Or even increase its speed in lower winds before it has reached hull speed?

·
19,489 Posts
I have been wondering what affects added weight (toasters, coffee pots, TVS, etc.) Have on the performance of a displacement sailing vessel. Common since tells me less weight more speed. However; more weight seems like it could increase waterline length increasing speed. Surely acceleration is at least hurt by added weight, but can it make a boats hull speed increase? Or even increase its speed in lower winds before it has reached hull speed?
The significance of this will depend on what arena you're in... as a cruiser you're unlikely to notice the difference, unless you're provisioning and supplying for an extended offshore passage and you're seriously overloaded upon departure - the boat would probably be noticeably sluggish to start (of course things get better as you go..)

The 'gains' in waterline would be insignificant on most boats with regard to the speed potential and likely wiped out by the increased 'weight'. For the average coastal cruiser I think it's a non issue unless you get carried away. Hanging big RIBs and outboards over the stern on davits is going to be a bigger deal, I'd expect..

For a racer, different story... but I suspect you weren't talking about that side of things anyway.. not to many extra toasters and TVs there....;)

Reactions: Stefman

·
Registered
583 Posts
The lighter your boat is the faster it will go, period.
The advantages of adding weight to increase LWL will defeat your overall performance. The minimal increase in your LWL will not improve your performance enough to over come the extra weight needed to achieve a longer waterline.
It's not just acceleration but the ability to keep your momentum.
We empty our boat of everything including our primary anchor and chain during racing season. All excess weight is removed. Water, cushions, dishes, cruising gear, etc. is all removed for better boat speed.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Weight makes a big difference in performance, to me. The evidence is obvious on smaller boats. Although not as obvious on bigger boats, I know the difference is there so I try to keep extraneous weight off the boat.

I do know it pays off in light air performance, and that's my favorite sailing.

Like Faster says, it's a mute point if you're cruising and need the stores but if your interest is best sailing performance, every pound removed from your boat, increases sailing performance.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well it is racing i was wondering about. Partially due to the fact that i used to live on my boat and when i did it set on its intended waterline or what i guess to be its intended waterline. When i brought the boat home and removed such items i am now floating between 5 and 6 inches higher. Will the boat be faster come racing season this spring? It is a standard rig catalina 27 with outboard. If taking the outboard off will make it faster i will also do that because i never use it now that the boat isnt in a slip at a marina and i dont run it ever.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Catalina 27's have an awesome rating for there performance.
Empty your boat of all unnecessary items and you will clean up. I would keep the outboard though, just lift it out of the water so as you are not dragging it through the water and good luck.
We have a 27 in our fleet that does very well on corrected time. He pisses me of regularly.

·
19,489 Posts
Most racing fleets require you to be able to extract yourself from trouble and part of that requirement may be having the motor in usable position - so check that out before you decide to put the motor away....

But as others have said, if you're racing then yes, get rid of the toasters, the TVs, the cushions, the extra food, restrict what you let your crew bring - and leave the beer at the dock too!!

·
Registered
583 Posts
Racing rules state you have to leave your salon cushions and your beer on board. Faster, really, you should know that.

·
19,489 Posts
Yeah.. OK... it does depend on the fleet, though. In the M242 we didn't need cushions, but the motors had to be on board (though not on the transom)

Reactions: Dog Ship

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Im all for the beer but i always stow the boat first sailing inebriated isnt a problem but putting everything up can be. lol Thanks for your input guys. I was just trying to argue with my common sense!

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
We don't count beer as weight. Otherwise everything comes off, and I mean everything. We even trim bolts flat to the lock nuts.

The Andrews 70 I worked for didn't even allow people to bring sailing bags. For offshore races you sent a list of drugs to the team doctor and the boat provided them. You showed up in your underwear and the boat provided all the clothes, foul weather gear, and even toothbrushes (well really just the bristles and an inch of handle) you needed for the trip. All to keep weight down to a bare minimum.

The only extra weight on the boat was the owners bottle of Jack Daniels... And even that we took out of the heavy glass and put into a plastic bottle.

·
Freedom isn't free
3,019 Posts
Beer doesn't weigh anything... it's those darned EMPTY cans!

·
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)
3,217 Posts
extra weight also affects turning and tacking. Momentium, while it can work for you in heavy weather, also means that your boat is going to want to continue on it's course no matter how much rudder you give it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts