SailNet Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Boom Vangs - the Hans Christian 33 does not come with one. I believe this is also the case with other HC models, but we're purchasing a 33, so it's our focus.

I would side with those who advocate against a boom vang as a preventer. My question is: would adding a vang expand sail trim options for a Hans Christian 33?

Thanks.

Bruce

·
19,489 Posts
Boom Vangs - the Hans Christian 33 does not come with one. I believe this is also the case with other HC models, but we're purchasing a 33, so it's our focus.

I would side with those who advocate against a boom vang as a preventer. My question is: would adding a vang expand sail trim options for a Hans Christian 33?

Thanks.

Bruce
I've said this before, but perhaps it's worth repeating. I consider a good vang a basic piece of sailing safety gear, not a 'maybe-should-have'.... Even if all there is is a boom-lift-limiting strop of sufficient strength at least that's something.

By all means add a vang. If a boom-supporting rigid vang style is in the budget consider that, but at the very least rig yourself a 6 or 8:1 tackle vang. It will increase sail trim options, but it will also make all your gybes safer, esp as the breeze builds.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
I have the Garhauer solid vang, and it works just fine. As I don't have a traveller it has become the main control over sail shape. I think one would cost about $400 for your boat, which includes custom brackets to fit the boom and the mast.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts