SailNet Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Rear Admiral
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My boat did not come with a vang, I have the necessary blocks I just ordered a tang for the boom, can I use the my mast step to attach the vang? I have a deck stepped mast and can post a pic when I get home from work.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I think it would work as long as your mast step is strong enough and the angle is correct. A lot of force is imparted to the vang, so just remember that when picking the attachment point. If the mast step is made of fiberglass (or something other than stainless), you might need to fix a backing plate.

·
no longer reading SailNet
2,309 Posts
Whatever you use needs to handle high loads from any orientation of the boom.

A boom bail around the mast hinge pin works well if you have a deck stepped mast that is designed to hinge on the mast step. Here is an example from my old Catalina 25:

Just above the boom bail you can see the old tang that was used for the vang. That was a poor design because it couldn't handle the loads when the boom was out (for downwind sailing). It cracked under load.

·
Once known as Hartley18
5,179 Posts
I think it would work as long as your mast step is strong enough and the angle is correct. A lot of force is imparted to the vang, so just remember that when picking the attachment point.
Do keep in mind that, for this very reason, fitting a vang to a boom with a sliding gooseneck (like my boat has) might not be possible at all..

·
Once known as Hartley18
5,179 Posts
A soft vang works well with a sliding gooseneck. Rigid vangs can have issues with them.
Soft vang? Oh, right.. :eek: You would need to cast off the vang completely to be able to adjust the smartpig, but I'd want to hear from someone else that it works okay before installing one myself.

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
I have this crazy idea to retrofit one of my leftover offroad motorcycle front shocks and make a fully tuneable and adjusteable rigid vang(the measurements are very close)

it would be oil dampened of course, with full rebound and compression adjustments meaning you could tune it for downwind courses AND upwind courses as well as all the other benefits found in rigid vangs...

now of course this is just one of my crazy ideas that would also save me $500-2k but I bet it would be more adjusteable and better performing than a budget rigid vang with only a spring.

it also has gas nozzle for even more compression damping as well

someday! jajaja

·
no longer reading SailNet
2,309 Posts
Soft vang? Oh, right.. :eek: You would need to cast off the vang completely to be able to adjust the smartpig, but I'd want to hear from someone else that it works okay before installing one myself.
I don't know what a smartpig is.

On a boat with a sliding gooseneck and a soft vang the sail raising process looks like this:
* release vang, mainsheet
* hoist sail on halyard
* tension downhaul. Now the gooseneck position is fixed (pulled up by sail and halyard, down by downhaul)
* tension mainsheet and vang as appropriate to start sailing

Soft vangs only pull the boom down and don't push it up (like a rigid vang). There is no problem with using one with a sliding gooseneck, if the vang is eased or not cleated it is like having no vang at all. Rigid vangs can't be "turned off" and the combination of a sliding gooseneck and a rigid vang can cause the boom to jam.

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
my super vang will be turn offable...jajaja

quick release pin that leaves only the block and tackle soft setup!

now where talking, patent theives beware

jajaja to dream is to live!

Reactions: Lothario
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.