SailNet Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a good adhesive for sticking together pieces of foam.

A sheet of foam was cut up for the cushions. And, a couple of pieces need to be put together to make a whole. Is there something like a 4200 but for foam to foam?

·
69' Coronado 25
323 Posts
Use a 3M product, look at their line of stuff and find what best suits your need, I know they make one for foam but you need to know what type of foam you have to achieve the best results.

Reactions: andyselzn

·
Registered
53 Posts
Sailrite has good information here:

In addition to the adhesives they mention, I've also used in a pinch 3M Super 77 spray adhesive, which is readily available in hardware stores and Home Depot.

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,645 Posts
Upholstery cement (spray) from any crafts store.

You mention sticking pieces together...I hope that means horizontal seams, not vertical ones. Vertical seams would tend to come apart regardless of the glue, as the foam tears away from it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@hellosailor : can you please explain what you mean by horizontal vs vertical seam?

We are trying to maximize foam use. We have one L shaped large piece. To make it a rectangle, we were planning on sticking two equal sized pieces side by side to complete the rectangle from the L.

·
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)
3,217 Posts
@hellosailor : can you please explain what you mean by horizontal vs vertical seam?
horizontal.. like a sandwich. If you glue two sheets of foam together as if they were naturally laying atop each other, the seam will not come apart. if it is vertical (end to end) the stress of sitting, getting up, and moving about on the cushion will eventually pull them apart.

If I were to need to glue foam end to end, I would stagger the pieces, like how they do brickwork. this way you have horizontal seams also holding it together

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,645 Posts
Andy-
As Mad said. If the seam is like the ham in a sandwich, when you sit on the cushion all you do is press it together. It the seam is vertical, like the cut when you slice a sandwich in two, then every time you sit on it, you shear the two pieces apart. Actually, you will be shearing off the foam from the adhesive, because they aren't fused together, they are just glued, and each bubble in the foam tends to tear apart from the neighbors, even before they get old and brittle.

Making two pieces into a jigsaw puzzle, or uncutting a sandwich...I'd just be reluctant to do it.

·
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)
3,217 Posts
The only way I would try to make a piece of foam longer (like uncutting a sandwich) would be with several smaller layers of foam sandwiched together but staggered. This would keep some of the stress off of the vertical seams as they would be spread out and held together with the horizontal seams

·
Registered
48 Posts
I've had god luck with the Elmers spray glue. But that was horizontal.
I would glue a piece of fabric to the top and bottom of your end to end glue experiment. Like the ham sandwich. The fabric will keep the foam together. In theory any way.
It may stiffen the feel of the cushion too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts