SailNet Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Removed the corroded 3/4" round neoprene foam rubber hatch gasket from my boat this week. Bought an exact replica at a rubber supply store. What should I use to reattach it? On one side neoprene, on the other smooth fiberglass (maybe a gel coat?).

Slow work peeling the old adhesive off - still sticky and caramel colored. Probably a rubber cement? I should probably take it all off before the new one goes on - acetone didn't really do anything.

Thanks for the advice.

·
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA
4,525 Posts
Do you have tape on the new gasket material? The stuff I bought had the adhesive on it. It was just peel and stick.

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,641 Posts
Auto supply store, "weatherstripping" adhesive in a tube.

Solvent clean the old stuff off first, for a good bond. Also solvent clean the new gasket, to make sure there are no contaminants on it.

·
Master Mariner
9,225 Posts
Bomar suggests contact adhesive for renewing hatch seals. In a pinch, I've used silicone, but it took a long time to dry.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Make damn sure when you fit the gasket that you mate the ends nicely as you insert the gasket into its groove in the hatch. DO NOT STRETCH THE GASKET MATERIAL, FFS (don't ask me how I know)

Overlay the gasket ends, and then take a sharp knife and cut so that the ends match. Then join them with cyanoacrylate/super glue

I'm fairly certain that rubber cement is the go for installing gaskets

·
Old as Dirt!
3,487 Posts
Thanks - will use the Home Depot stuff, doesn't have tape attached, will also use the tip to use the solvents on the neoprene too. Thinking of using 3m 4000 since I have it to hand.
Unless your gasket fits into a groove of some type, 4200 would not be wise. You need a contact type cement the bonds on contact to prevent the gasket from squirming around once pressure is applied. Moreover, the 4200 will be a bear to remove in future when a new gasket is needed, whether by you or a subsequent owner.

FWIW...

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,641 Posts
Rubber cements are not all the same. Many will break down in heat, i.e. from the sun baking on the other side of the lid. Why gamble when a tube of proper weatherseal adhesive (which is "the right" rubber cement) is maybe $5?

Cyanoacrylate glues are also all not the same. Some stay semi-flexible, others get brittle. If you don't buy one that is designed for O-rings and gaskets, then at least make sure the package says something about "suitable for flexible surfaces...leather and vinyl..." or something similar to that.

Aquaseal or Amazing Goop, both flexible urethane glues, would also work well but I'd expect the first is $10 and the second over $5. Goop is an incredibly handy and durable product though. Reattaches shoe soles, repairs sails, seals leaks...

I found out about cyanoacrylates while looking for surgical adhesive for the first aid kit. The new stuff is way more expensive than the old stuff, but the old stuff was moved to "veterinary use only" because after three days it tends to get stiff and crack off moving skin. And since I only play a plastic surgeon on TV, I bought the vet stuff anyway. Anyone who doesn't like it, can do their own sewing.(G)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts