SailNet Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
S/V "MACKINAC"
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning all,
I was reading the "sticky" post on adjusting your rig. I've read many descriptions on how to do this and I always end up with one question.
Every method says something like;
" (NOTE: this has to be done in a day with no wind with the boat perfectly horizontal, shift weight if you have to, to balance the boat)."

My question is how do you know when the boat is "perfectly horizontal" ???
The article here talks about 1degree of aft mast rake. I would think if you can't or don't know what a horizontal reference for the boat is the 1 degree thing can be way off ????
Thanks
Bill

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
You can't expect absolute, metaphysical exactitude when you are dealing with something in a fluid environment. "Close" is close enough. Why isn't it important that you get it perfect? Because, after you establish the rake, you will sail the boat in 10-12 kt winds and, based on the feel of the tiller, and the amount of weather helm that you observe, you will then fine tune the adjustment, to optimize it. The initial adjustment to within a degree or so of perpendicular only gets you in the ballpark. The fine tuning that you do afterwards optimizes the adjustment.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Bill,

Port-starboard? Attach the stupid end of two tape measures to a sail slug, and hoist the slug up 20'. Now you can measure to the toe rail on each side and keep an eye to make sure the slug is centered. Adjust your shrouds as required and you don't need to be level.

Bow-stern? Use the same sail slug and hoist a plumb bob. Adjust the mast towards the stern so the plumb bob is 6-9" from the base. Go sailing and check for weather helm. Many sailors (maybe most?) suggest a little weather helm which causes an unattended boat to round up into the wind and stop. Too much will exhaust the helmsman though.

Don

1 - 4 of 4 Posts