SailNet Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
981 Posts
In order to check the lateral position of the mast use the main (or jib for fractional rig) halyard and swing it to the port and starboard rails.

Don't forget to sight up the mast to look for bends. The lower shrouds can be used to straighten some of the bends. Often times the lowers are set looser to allow for mast bend. In fact in some racing classes the lowers are adjusted according to the wind speed.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Shroud length/tension problem

For people still struggling with the length issue look carefully at the image posted before by "Valiente" at post # 61. (Sorry I'am not alowed to post images so I can not show the image myself)

At first I will say that I also was confused and could not believe what "Giulietta" was saying about this. Plus I had to agree with what "KeelHaulin" was saying about length of the shroud. :confused:

Then I saw this image and everything became clear. :D :)

If you look good at the tape measure in the drawing you will see it is attached, at the top of the tape measurer, to the shroud with adhesive tape. What this means is that you are indeed lengthening the whole shroud but only measuring the stretch over 2 meter.

If you keep this in mind the whole explanation makes sense.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Hey everyone. I'm new here (as I'm sure you can tell). As we are talking gear, what tools do you think makeup the perfect small toolbox? What tools do you rely on more than others?

I have several tool boxes for sailing, packed full of random things, so i thought it would be good to see what is absolutley essential.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts