SailNet Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a AdlerBarbour Cold Machine about 5 years old. I can't get it to start when it above 75 degrees outside. The unit is under the cockpit in a morgan sailboat. I am getting a single led flash which is to show low voltage. However, I have new batteries, charging unit is fine. I am geeting 12 volts to the unit. When the unit tries to start it will draw around 20 to 22 amps for about 2 seconds and then shut down. When it is running ok it will pull around 12 amps. It will try again after a bit but do the same with no go. I have checked the voltage everywhere and all looks well. Any one with any ideas. Thanks Jeff

·
Grasshopper
908 Posts
I have a AdlerBarbour Cold Machine about 5 years old. I can't get it to start when it above 75 degrees outside. The unit is under the cockpit in a morgan sailboat. I am getting a single led flash which is to show low voltage. However, I have new batteries, charging unit is fine. I am geeting 12 volts to the unit. When the unit tries to start it will draw around 20 to 22 amps for about 2 seconds and then shut down. When it is running ok it will pull around 12 amps. It will try again after a bit but do the same with no go. I have checked the voltage everywhere and all looks well. Any one with any ideas. Thanks Jeff
Sounds like a problem I had, and a new controller solved that.

·
Mondofromredondo
221 Posts
Adler Barbour

I'm having the same problem with mine.
I guess the first thing I'm gonna try is running new wires directly from the battery to make sure I'm providing adequate voltage and amperage.

Keith

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
If you're only getting 12V at the AB, then either your wiring is too small or you have some bad connections (loose or corroded terminals, loose or corroded nuts or screws, etc.).

Try that first.

Inrush current can be much higher than the run current, even if the compressor is working properly. Normally, it's only for an instant or two before the compressor gets rolling, whence the amperage draw will drop to about 3-6, depending on the compressor.

If your compressor starts when the engine is running, that's a sure sign that there's a bad wiring connection somewhere.

Bill

1 - 5 of 5 Posts