SailNet Community banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
19,485 Posts
Probably no need to replace the evaporator if you can get a refrig tech to recharge your system once the compressor's installed - unless there's an issue with it too, or you want to change the arrangement inside the icebox/fridge.

OTOH if you buy a new system that comes as a full precharged kit then you'll have to. I suspect whatever you buy today will be much more power efficient than the old AB so you may prefer to go that way rather than direct replacement.

·
One of None
Hunter 34
8,647 Posts
Hi. My Adler-Barbour compressor is toast. Going to replace with like unit. Should I also replace the evaporator? Installed on 1984 O'Day 39 when new.
"toast" as far of what is wrong is a rather vague term. :rolleyes:
It is pretty expensive to buy the components separately and yes you should go with a new unit. All makes are DIY friendly. You may want to use this as an opportunity to upgrade the insulation and make a better and well sealed lid if yours is "toast" also.
I used Norcold for the box on my boat.

·
One of None
Hunter 34
8,647 Posts
Probably the super sensitive "module" even though a simple loose wire connection can make one act like it's failed

Seems to me, as I've tried to be a reliable tech (business owner) myself, I would explain to the owner what failed. I'd not assume the owner is clueless and say "toast" LOL

I may sound like a smart ass, but I really think techs should be more willing to explain "how and why, with cost options" so the owner can make an informed decision. Last month I did just that for a property owner about a heating system in one her apartments. She did replace rather then fix, but I felt she had the facts and options presented in a way that let her make the decision.

I like Norcold and Engel (swing compressor) over the machines using the Danfoss compressors, but they ALL are pricey,

·
Old enough to know better
4,345 Posts
Probably the super sensitive "module" even though a simple loose wire connection can make one act like it's failed

Seems to me, as I've tried to be a reliable tech (business owner) myself, I would explain to the owner what failed. I'd not assume the owner is clueless and say "toast" LOL

I may sound like a smart ass, but I really think techs should be more willing to explain "how and why, with cost options" so the owner can make an informed decision. Last month I did just that for a property owner about a heating system in one her apartments. She did replace rather then fix, but I felt she had the facts and options presented in a way that let her make the decision.
You smartass, never! :D

I like Norcold and Engel (swing compressor) over the machines using the Danfoss compressors, but they ALL are pricey,
Good to know as most use the danfoss.

·
islander bahama 24
1,842 Posts
Doing new compressor on mine the holding plate is still there and good just no compressor or evaporator but yep all are darn expensive

·
3,505 Posts
If you want you can replace the Danfoss compressor only, check to see if it is a db 35 or the DB 50 compressor. You may have the old brain so will have to redo that as well. Google "RPARTS" and you can buy individual components, if your a DIY kinda guy. Some of the best price's I've seen on a new Adler-Barber style super cold machine(Dometic sells the brand WAECO)-all danfoss stuff... is out of the UK at "Force 4 Chandlery.

As others have mentioned a re insulate/replace the seals on lids may be the most important part of the project.

·
Sailor
935 Posts
Just a note that a unit that was made in 1984 will use a different refrigerant than one made today. They aren't compatible so you can't put a new compressor and old evaporator together. I Believe you are going this way anyway but you should replace the entire system.

Tod

·
Old as Dirt!
3,487 Posts
Just a note that a unit that was made in 1984 will use a different refrigerant than one made today. They aren't compatible so you can't put a new compressor and old evaporator together. I Believe you are going this way anyway but you should replace the entire system.

Tod
Tod is definitely right on the money with this observation. We suffered the consequences of incompatible refrigerant oils with our air conditioning system this past summer. Fortunately, the maker handled the matter at no cost to us but it would have been very costly otherwise...

·
One of None
Hunter 34
8,647 Posts
yes, and no.. No meaning it's not really going to be cheaper with RP. A compressor and module are nearly as much as a whole new DIY package like norcold or AB from Defender. even WM lol

1 - 14 of 14 Posts